Reason #822

I went to Europe for spring break my senior year in high school. My parents knew that I probably wouldn't get the chance to travel there again if I didn't go then, so they decided they would let me go and pay for it as my graduation gift. I have to say, hands down, it was the best gift they could have given me. The trip was incredible!

My parents have always been very protective, and you know I come from a family of worriers, so letting me travel across the globe was a big step for them. The night before the trip, my poor mom came down with flu. We had to drive to Sweetwater because that's where the group was leaving from. My mom was determined she was going to make the trip down to see me off because I would be gone for a little over a week. At this point in my life, this was the longest period of time I had been away from them, and it didn't help that I would be in a totally different country. But they were brave because they knew this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity and they wanted me to enjoy it. They wanted me to travel and see the world. Before I left, my mom made sure I had a calling card that was full of minutes so I could call home each day. Packed down with my clothes, a little money for souvenirs, and my passport, I headed off for an adventure.

I don't really remember being scared to go on the trip. I was thrilled I was getting to go! This was unlike anything I had ever done before. We landed in Scotland and headed to a different place each day before ending up in London. I saw things I had only seen in movies. I visited some of the most beautiful castles and gawked at the beauty of the open fields. I was amazed at the history and in awe of the old architecture. Each night, I'd give my parents a call. I couldn't wait to tell them about the day and what all we did. I took a million pictures and soaked up every moment because I knew the trip would come to an end. I'd go home in 10 days, and I didn't know if I'd ever get to go back.

The trip flew by, and I had really mixed feelings at the end of our time there. I wanted to stay so that I could see and experience more, but I really missed home. I remember the way I felt when we finally landed in Dallas. I was so exhausted, and yet I was so ready to see my parents I could hardly stand it. Sure, I had talked to them every day and given them full details of what all had gone on, but I couldn't wait to actually see them. The next morning they showed up to take me home, and I was so excited and relieved to see them that I almost cried. So here I am, 9 years later, thinking about that trip, which just seems like it was yesterday. And I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to go and see the world, but more than that, I am thankful that at the end of my time, I made it back home.

Life is a trip. It is. It's a journey. What a gift that the Lord would allow us to go on this adventure, right? That He would make it possible. How generous of Him to foot the bill for us to be able to experience the world He created this way. To be able to explore it and see it and be amazed at its beauty. Because there are a lot of people, millions, who don't get that chance. A lot of sweet souls that never get to embark on one of the most amazing adventures possible. Yet God has allowed you to. He has given you the opportunity to be here. To journey through life on earth and enjoy it first hand. Soak it up, take it in, enjoy every bit of it. Because one day, it will be over. One day, your trip will end. And even though that's a tough thing to think about, the beauty is that we get to go home. The thrill of seeing our Father face to face after being a weary traveler is comforting. To be home, to make it home, and to be safe in our Father's house is a good place to be. And, speaking from personal experience, after a long, full trip, there is no place like home. So go, see, experience, and live life to the fullest because you're on vacation. Life's a trip, and this is your only opportunity to experience it!

#822 - Because life is a trip!

"The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast wilderness." - Deuteronomy 2:7

Comments

Popular Posts