Reason #808

Life goes on. I know that's not what we always want to hear, but it's the truth. The days pass, and time keeps ticking. Even when the days seem slow, hard, and never ending, 24 hours pass and a new day has arrived. 

I would get wrapped up in the moments. In those utterly painful, heart-wrenching, completely uncomfortable moments, I would find myself thinking, "Will it ever get any better than this?" And yet life goes on. The world doesn't revolve around us and so it doesn't stop for us. I remember thinking to myself, "How can people be so happy and carefree?" I remember sharing my heartache with them and wondering, "How is your heart not breaking with mine? How do you only care for the moment and forget about it in the next?" I remember thinking that if I went to bed and didn't wake up, that wouldn't be the worst thing. Because the fact that life was moving forward was more painful than if it just stopped, or so it seemed.

But life moved on. Regardless of whether or not I wanted to, life was going to. Yet a funny thing began to happen. One day I would wake up and I would think, "Maybe today is going to be a good day." And you know what, it would be. And another day I would wake up and I would be looking forward to what the day had in store. And after a few months, I found myself feeling alive again. I found myself not only willing to move forward but actively doing so. I found myself living life to the fullest and within a year I found myself thinking, "Life could not possibly get any better than this!" In the grand scheme of things, a year wasn't that long. Living it out felt much longer. But 24 hours passed every single day. Seven days rolled around every single week. And it was amazing the amount of chaos, heartbreak, joy and miracles twelve months could hold.

Life goes on. People move on. It's quite amazing how the heart has the capacity to heal. Time can do wonders for brokenness and disappointment. And maybe you're at that point where you're thinking it won't get any better. You're thinking that you can't keep going on. But you can, and you know why? Because "The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." (Lamentations 3:22-23) New mercies mean new hope for new things and better days.

I look at my life and I praise God for His new, daily mercies. I praise Him that life went on and keeps going on. I thank Him that every night I laid down to rest, I woke up the next morning. That each day He gave me hope for new, better things and that as time kept ticking He blessed me with those new, better things. That each day brought healing. That His mercy gave me strength to keep going forward when I wanted to shrink back and stop. I am grateful that His mercy gave me courage to live out my life even though I was afraid. I thank Him for mercy that lifted my lowered head. That encouraged my desperate heart. And I praise Him for the fact that better days are always in store for His beloved, redeemed child.

#808 - For His daily, new mercies that mean new hope for new things and better days.

"I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!" - Lamentations 3:24

Comments

Popular Posts