Reason #805

It seems like the Lord keeps bringing up the idea of asking. And not just asking, but really focusing on asking for the things that He deems valuable. I suppose that's because I'm prone to ask a lot, and maybe I've been asking for the wrong things.

Usually we ask God for more of a certain thing. Sometimes it's tangible and sometimes it's not. For example, I usually find myself asking for energy, a good night's sleep, patience, guidance, open eyes and a willing heart. Of course, that's not a comprehensive list by any means. Those things usually make their way to the top of the list because I find I either need them most or just really desire them.

Jesus tells us to ask and that we'll receive. I totally believe that, I just think I don't always ask for the things I need. And, you have to be aware of what you're asking for. Open minded, really. Because God thinks outside of the box, and if you're not paying attention, you'll miss it. You'll keep asking and wondering where you answer is, and it will have passed you by a long time ago. Just because you ask doesn't mean you're guaranteed to receive it in the form you're expecting.

So how do we ask then? Or what do we ask? Or should we ask? I know, I can't figure this one out either. I find myself asking, asking, and asking again because I can't figure out what the answer is. I try to be open minded, but it's hard when your biased. It's really hard when you're hopeful, too. And so, thankfully, this week I stumbled across a good thing to ask for that is sure to be most helpful.

"At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.”..."give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this." - 1 Kings 3:5 & 9-10

I don't know that I'd be wise enough to ask for wisdom if I knew God was going to give me exactly what I wanted. That's probably why I'm not ruling a nation like Solomon was. Anyway, I thought this was pretty sound advice. Because Solomon didn't know how to govern God's rebellious, stubborn, forgetful people, and he realized that it wasn't something he could easily do alone. I feel that way about myself sometimes. I can barely manage myself, and I usually fail pretty more often than not when trying to sort my life out. And so maybe wisdom is the key. Wisdom is what we need most. God's wisdom with God's help. Because with God's wisdom, we not only know what to do, we know what is best to do. With God's wisdom, we get it right and we understand it more. If only I had the perfect wisdom, God's wisdom, to handle everything life throws at me, I think I'd be pretty successful in my endeavors. And so maybe that should be first on the list of things to ask for every time. Wisdom in all things... for all things...because our Source of Wisdom will never run dry.

#805 - For His wisdom that never runs dry.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise." - Psalm 111:10

Comments

Popular Posts