Reason #825

Technology has ruined our patience. The ability to instantly have creates this mindset, this belief, that we apply to everything. Drive-thrus, microwaves, Hot Pockets, the internet, cell phones and home delivery means that we don’t have to wait for very long. We just throw up our request, and in less than an hour, it is met. And so waiting for days, months, or even years seems impossible…unreasonable. Why wait when we don’t have to? But that’s not how God works.
 
I am reading a book over prayer and I learn so much with each page. It’s amazing how you can pray your whole life and yet still have a lot to learn about the power of prayer. Anyway, the author made a point that our prayer life is tainted by instant gratification. We pray once and expect an answer by the next day at the latest. We don’t want to wait, we don’t want to keep praying for the same thing over and over, and we certainly aren’t okay with praying prayers that don’t seem to be answered. But every single prayer is answered. Every one of them. The problem we have with it is that they are not answered a.) according to our timeline and b.) in the exact way we expected.
 
Aaron and I have been discussing some potential changes for our future lately. And while some of them may seem “bigger” than others, each one is significant for its own reason. We’re trying to decipher between the Davis’ will and God’s will because we want to be sure we go into everything with pure, unselfish motives. We want to be sure we are entering into these changes because they are God-initiated. And so I pray for wisdom in the mornings when I drive to work. I keep asking the Lord to show us what He wants us to do. Thus far, I have yet to receive a clear answer. I’m still asking and waiting for a response. But I know God is listening. I know He is hearing those requests, and you might wonder how I can be so confident of that. Well, this morning, I received a text message from Aaron’s mom. She said, “I pray that you would experience God’s love as you work throughout the day and that His wisdom and revelation would guide your steps. I was in prayer this morning and this is what was in my heart for you both.”
 
God hears our requests. He knows what we need help with. He knows our desires. And so what if God is asking you to wait? What if He isn’t going to give you a definite answer today, tomorrow, next week, or by the end of the year? Will you keep praying? Will you keep asking? Will you keep waiting and trusting Him? Our prayers never go unanswered, sometimes we just have to be patient and understand that God will work all things out at just the right time because He’s got a plan and He’s sticking to it.
 
#825 - Because He is listening.
 
"In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly." - Psalm 5:3

Comments

Popular Posts