Reason #25

Do you ever feel isolated? Do you feel like no one can relate to you? Maybe you believe that no one can understand how you feel or what you've been through. Often times I think, "I am the only person I know who _________ ." It's funny how we can be surrounded by people, maybe even people who have gone through a similar experience, and yet we still feel alone.

I have felt alone. I've felt like no one will really understand what I've been through and even if they were in a similar situation, they still can't understand how I feel. I look around and I think, "I am the only person I know who has walked this road." Of course, this is untrue but it's easy to believe it.

As I've battled these thoughts, I was reminded of a man who has had similar experiences. I suppose I need to let you in on some of my thoughts so that you can see how this man really does understand. "No one understands what it feels like to be this humiliated... no one understands how much it hurts to be betrayed... no one understands how hard it is to have to do something you dread doing... no one understands how hard it is to pray and pray about something yet still receive an answer you weren't hoping for... no one understands how it feels to be rejected... no one understands how difficult it is to be falsely accused... no one understands what it feels like to be abandoned..."So, now that you've been given a transparent glimpse into my mind, let me share with you his story.

The story I am going to reference can be found in Matthew 26 and 27. You're probably pretty familiar with this story, just as I am. However, when I begin to pick it apart rather than just reading over the words, the story takes on a new shape.

Jesus had a close friend, Judas. In fact, Judas was in Jesus' inner circle. He wasn't just an "acquaintance," no, he was a disciple. He was on mission with Jesus, for Jesus. I am sure these two had a really tight bond. They spent their time together, worked together, made memories together, shared laughs, probably cried together, ate meals together and served God together. After a few years in the ministry together, Judas did an unthinkable thing. For 30 measly pieces of silver, he betrayed his friend... his savior. Jesus understands how much it hurts to be betrayed.

So, the betrayal has come and Jesus' death is quickly approaching. Jesus heads to the garden and he begins to pray. He is in anguish. He asks his father multiple times if it would be possible for the cup of suffering he's about to face to be taken from him. He's about to face a painful death for something he didn't do. He's about to feel intense pain as nails are hammered into his hands and feet. His blood is about to be spilled. As we know, the cup was not taken, rather his life was. Jesus understands how hard it is to pray and pray about something yet still receive an answer you weren't hoping for. He also understands how hard it is to do something you dread doing.

He is taken before a governor who has the opportunity to free him, to do the right thing. They can't find a solid reason to kill him, but their emotions are running high and so to maintain crowd control, he has been given the death penalty. In fact, not only is he given the death penalty for no reason, a notorious prisoner is released. Jesus understands how hard it is to be falsely accused.

As this is going on, another close friend of Jesus' is denying that he even knows who Jesus is...not once, not twice, but three times. Jesus understands what it feels like to be rejected.

Jesus is then given to the crowd. He is stripped and beaten. He is treated with no dignity. He is spit on, hit, yelled at, and for what? He is treated with utter disdain. He skin is ripped from his body. He becomes unrecognizable. He is tortured... in public. He has to walk to his death carrying his execution object and is shown no mercy or sympathy. He has to walk in front of people who know him and they get see him in his lowest, most vulnerable state. He is then laid on the cross and people watch him cry out in pain as each strike of the hammer drives the nails in deeper. To add to it, a crown of thorns is forced onto his head and he is mocked. Then, he is lifted up high so that EVERYONE can see his abused and half-naked body hanging in excruciating pain. Jesus understands how what it feels like to be humiliated.

Jesus hangs between two thieves. He is surrounded by many people. He is not alone during his death, however,  after a few hours, he cries out and he says, "My God, why have you abandoned me?" Jesus understands what I feels like to be abandoned.

Jesus finally takes his last breath and he is placed in a tomb.

Now, were that the end of the story, I would be stuck feeling alone and as if no one can understand me. However, three days later the most exciting and important event in history happened. Jesus walked out that tomb victorious... nail scarred hands but full of glory and hope. See, Jesus understands how I feel. He's been through it all, only when I compare my circumstances to his, I realize that I don't know the first thing about being betrayed, humiliated, rejected, and abandoned. And the thing is, he endured all those things for me.

I'm thankful to serve a God who can relate to me. He knows my every thought and my every feeling. He's been there. He's felt it himself. He understands.

Reason #25 - I'm not alone because he understands.

"How great is our Lord! His power is absolute! His understanding is beyond comprehension!" - Psalm 147:5


Comments

Popular Posts