Reason #33

I have been looking forward to writing this post all day. I read this passage this morning and just got so excited I could barely stand it. I hope you feel the same way as you read along.

“Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.  I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." Isaiah 43:1-3

God's promises are good. Not only are they good, they hold true. I have personally discovered that when he says he will, he will! He is a man of his word. He is also a man who remembers what he promises, even if it was thousands of years ago.

As I have walked through this season of life, the word of God has become so alive and real to me like never before. It's so much more than just words on a page or stories from long ago. Hebrews 4:12 says, "The word of God is alive and powerful." Each time I have listened to a sermon, read scripture or done a bible study, I have felt like it was written just for me. The word of God is most definitely alive!

As I read these verses this morning, my heart was overjoyed. Really, I felt like doing a victory dance. I felt empowered and strengthened as I was reminded of what a mighty God I serve. I began to think about how God has fulfilled these promises before and I saw some parallels between my story and the stories of the past.

"When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown." In Exodus 14, we get to read of the miraculous parting of the Red Sea. God had just delivered his people from the Egyptians and was leading them into the wilderness and on to the Promised Land. They hadn't gotten too far out when Pharaoh decided to go after them. So here they are, feeling totally unprepared, defenseless, helpless and blocked in on both sides. Pharaoh's army is coming up behind them and a sea is before them. Luckily, God was with them. He began to part the waters and lead them across. Not only did he guide them forward, he followed behind them to provide extra protection from Pharaoh's army. I can relate to those Israelites. I have stood between a rock in a hard spot. As I've looked around, I haven't seen a way out. What's behind me and what's in front of me looks pretty discouraging. I've thought the same thing they thought, "Really? This is where you wanted to bring me?" Well, it's a good thing that same God is with me, too. I don't know how he's going to lead me through the deep waters and difficult rivers, but he tells me he will and so I believe him. I am a little nervous to start walking across the sea bed, but I know he goes before me and follows behind me so I'm believing him when he says I won't drown.

"When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you." In Daniel 3, we read about how God miraculously saves Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (or Rack, Shack and Benny as they are known in the Veggie Tales movie). These 3 guys defy the order of the king by refusing to bow to a golden idol. They are reported to the king who decides that he will throw them into a firey furnace to punish them. I love their response to their sentencing. "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up. (v 17-18).” Good news, they were right! God rescued them. In fact, he got right in there with them and delivered them unharmed. Some days I feel the heat of the fire. It's hot, it's uncomfortable and I'm tired of sweating, but he's right there with me. I don't enjoy being so close to fire, but I sure enjoy knowing that he's not going to allow me to be burned up. And even if I get tossed completely into the fire, I'm encouraged to know that I won't be consumed but rather, I'll be refined.

These are scary situations. Water and fire are two unstoppable forces. They can do a great amount of damage in a small amount of time. Thankfully, God reminds me that I don't have to be afraid. Rising waters or blazing fire, he has claimed me for his own. He paid a ransom for me, and I am his.

So I pray that if I drown, it would be in his faithful promises and if I'm consumed, it be by his powerful love. For he is my Lord... My Savior!

#33 - Because he does what he says he will do!

"I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me."- Psalm 16:8

Comments

Popular Posts