Reason #43

Today is a day to celebrate! One year ago, Scout became my "doghter" (my doggy daughter). I shared with you a little about Scout in my Reason #39 post, but I want to share with what I've learned from our year together.

I didn't grow up having a pet and was sure I never wanted one. I saw pets as being a burden more than a joy, boy was I wrong. Scout has been nothing but a joy since day one. I never thought I would be able to love an animal this much. In fact, sometimes I forget that Scout is just a dog. I think of her as part of my family, really, I think of her as my baby. I have actually taken the liberty of referring to myself as "mom" when I talk to Scout. I don't feel too silly admitting this because I bet if you have a pet, you do the same thing, too.

Sometimes, I'm amazed at how much I care about Scout. How did I go from feeling as if this little critter could potentially be a burden to loving her to pieces? Scout and I knew nothing of each other prior to February 25, 2011 and as of February 25, 2012, I can't imagine life without her. Funny how this "adoption"  process works isn't it?

Having a pet has given me an interesting insight into love, and not just love itself, but the love of a parent. Okay, I realize that I am not really a parent, but this is as close as I can get for now. I do a lot for Scout. I provide shelter for her, feed her, buy her toys, keep her healthy, keep her clean, I give her a comfortable place to sleep, keep her safe, clothe her (yes, she wears sweaters), entertain her, love her, and look out for her. This list sounds a little exhausting and we might wonder why we would do so much for someone/thing that doesn't do near as much for us in return. Seems a little lop-sided, right? I do these things for Scout because I love her and I know what's best for her, I don't do them for her because of what she can or can't do for me. Things I saw as "burdens" are now desires because I want my sweet girl to have a long, healthy, happy life. Also, because I do these things for her, she loves me, trusts me, and desires to be near me. She brings joy, happiness and love, and I'm sure that she's grateful. Though Scout has a lot of wonderful people in her life that love on her, I'm proud to know that I'm her #1!

Isn't this how our Heavenly Father sees us? He adopted us into his family. I imagine on January 1, 1995 he was just as excited about me becoming his daughter as I was when Scout became my "doghter." Prior to that date, I knew who he was, but as of that date, my life has never been the same and I can't imagine it without him. He has done so much for me. He has provided for me in every imaginable way, kept me safe, comforted me, sheltered me, looked out for me, blessed me, danced over me, quieted me, guarded me, lead me, carried me, redeemed me, saved me, healed me, restored me, forgiven me, rescued me, and loved me unconditionally. I did absolutely nothing to deserve this could never do enough for him in return. The good thing is, he doesn't do these things based on what I can or can't do for him, he does them because he cares so deeply for me. I know that he, too, knows what's best for me and desires that I have an abundant life.

Sometimes, I forget to be grateful. Sometimes, I forget how much he does for me and I start to feel entitled. Sometimes, I complain about what I'm getting, not getting or the form in which I'm getting it, and I realize that I'm only getting these things because of his love and generosity. He owes me nothing. He doesn't have to do anything for me, but I'm so thankful that he graciously chooses to. I'm thankful for a Father who pours out his goodness, and because of all he's done, not only do I desire to be near him, but I know that he loves me and that I can trust him. He has surrounded me with many wonderful people, but he is my #1.

#43 - Because I am his daughter, the one whom he does much for!

                                                           Our first mother/doghter photo!

                                                                   My sweet girl!


"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves."- Ephesians 1:4-6

Comments

Popular Posts