Reason #39

I used to hear people talk about how much they loved their dogs and I would think, "Seriously. It's just a dog." Well, I have become president of the "People Who Talk About Their Dogs Too Much" club. I've  mentioned Scout a few times in my previous posts, but tonight she is my inspiration.

Scout is the first dog I have ever owned. I actually stumbled upon her by accident. Getting a dog was probably the most rash decision I've ever made. I never planned on having a dog, but when I saw her sweet face, I knew we were meant to be together. I called the breeder to inquire about this tiny critter and she did a fabulous job of persuading me to buy Scout, but at the end of the conversation she said, "Her tail isn't docked. We usually dock the tails, so are you sure you don't want one with a docked tail?" I was thinking to myself, "Who cares? It's just a tail. She looks perfect to me." She also told me that Scout was the only puppy left from her litter. She said, "I have a new litter of puppies. Their tails are docked. Would you like one of those instead?" At this point in time, Scout was 12 weeks old. My heart broke a little as I wondered why she hadn't been picked. I wondered if something was wrong with her and that's why she was the only puppy left from her litter. Well, after a few days of mulling it over, I decided that I wanted her regardless. I met the breeder in Tulia to pick up Scout. I remember how excited I was. I could barely sleep Thursday night and boasted all day at work on Friday about my soon-to-be puppy. I proudly showed off her "baby pictures" and counted down the minutes until 5:00. Thursday night, I made sure to go to the store and pick out a bed, food bowl, toy and collar just for her. I was fully ready for my puppy!          

I got to Tulia to meet the breeder and she pulled out 2.5 pounds of cuteness from this little box. My sweet baby was shivering and scared. When the breeder handed Scout to me she said, "Are you sure this is the one you want? You're pleased with her?" I was MORE than pleased with her. She couldn't be any better! In fact, she was even cuter than the pictures. I wrapped my sweet girl up in a warm blanket and headed home. One the drive back she trembled, so I tried to love on her and comfort her. I knew she was terrified but I also knew that I already loved her and was so happy to have her as my own. My very own pet! She might have cost me a pretty penny, but I was sure she was worth it. I knew I had the pick of the litter!

Sometimes we go through life feeling far from being the "pick of the litter." We look around and it seems like everyone else is getting picked but us. We feel left out and left behind. We start to wonder if anyone is going to come along and see the value in us. What is it that's keeping us from being chosen? Why are we still here? Is it something we did? Is it the way we look? Does it have to do with our performance? Should we be doing something differently? Why do we keep getting overlooked?

Ephesians 1:11-12 says, "In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory."  I find encouragement in knowing that I actually have been chosen. I just imagine my Heavenly Father thinking about me the same way I thought about Scout when I saw her. Sure, the world says, "Hey, are you sure you want this one? She's the leftover. She looks different from the others." And I imagine him saying "You bet I do. She looks perfect to me!" I sort of feel like my little Scout. My litter-mates have all gone to homes that I wanted to go to and I've been sitting here, feeling left behind and wondering. My Savior came, picked me up, a trembling, scared little girl, wrapped me in his warm, soft arms and began loving and comforting me. He knows how terrified I am. I don't know where I'm going or the purpose he has for me, but I trust that it will all work out because I am placing my hope in him. He reminded me, "You are not your own; you were bought at a price (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)," and I hope that when he looks at me he thinks that I was worth every penny.

#39 - Because he paid it all and picked me.

"If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world."  - John 15:19

Comments

  1. I stumbled across your blog through Facebook and started reading it yesterday from Reason 1. This particular post really helped me out today and was just the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts