Reason #621

I learned a song about friendship when I was younger that said, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold." Now, I am not really sure what that means exactly, or who is gold and who is silver, but I think what the song was getting at is that friends are valuable, no matter how "old" or "new" they are. And so we make friends and we keep friends, and today I was really reminded of that.

So as you all now, bible study has been one of the most influential things in my life. It was the thing that really got the ball rolling in the right direction and brought about joy. And the interesting thing about bible study is that I have probably met more people through that over the past year than I have since I graduated college 5 years ago. Unfortunately, the sad thing about the bible study group is that almost everyone is in a transitional phase in life so that means a lot of my "original" bible study friends have moved. A lot of them have stayed in town, but jobs, schedules, and life has changed for us and so I don't get to see some of them anymore. Doesn't mean I don't still love them to pieces and get overly excited when I see them. But the good thing about being in this transitional phase is that I'm still getting to know new people and make new friends, and it just blows my mind at the number of friendships the Lord has given me.

I went to eat lunch with a friend from bible study, whom I met a few months ago. She is actually one of my co-workers now, and I just have to say it's quite nice to get to work with your friends. Anyway, we had a little lunch date today and I walked in to McAlister's and spotted a college friend right away. I was glad to see her and meet her little baby. We chatted for a few seconds before I had to order my lunch. And as I got ready to leave and head back to work, I saw one of my "original" bible study friends. I gave her a quick hug before heading out the door, and my heart was just really full as I realized that were it not for the drastic turn my life took two years ago, those girls wouldn't have ever become my friends.

Sometimes change does make me a little sad. Because we go through phases where life is just so good, we'd like for it to stay that way, right? But life is just one big change after the other, and I've come to realize this. I'm thankful for the constants in my life, like Aaron, and our families, and I'm thankful for the friends I do have. The friends I see all the time, the ones I don't get to see as often, and the ones that I might never get to see again. Because those people have changed my life whether or not they realized it. They were able to give me hope and joy. Some of them managed to help me see life differently, better. Some of those friends brought a lot of laughter and gave me courage. Many of them helped me create sweet, long lasting memories. And so I'm thankful. Thankful that the Lord was so good to flood my life with sweet friends. Truthfully, that He's been faithful to do that for many, many, many years. And most of all, I'm thankful that they were not only willing to be my friend but that they were willing to take me on as their friend, too.

#621 - For old friends, new friends, and all of the friends in between.

"The seeds of good deeds become a tree of life; a wise person wins friends." - Proverbs 11:30

Comments

Popular Posts