Reason #635

This has been a long week for Aaron, and it's only Wednesday. He has had to work really late twice this week, which is pretty unusual. The upside of that is that I've been able to accomplish a lot because I've had a slow week. I won't complain about that because I rarely have a slow week. This will be the first week in forever that I have been home every single night, and I have quite enjoyed that! Anyway, I definitely appreciate Aaron's hard working ethic, but I sure miss him when he's not home. Thank goodness that when he does come home, I only have to compete with  Scout for his attention.

You guys don't know this, but it was about this time last year that Aaron was holding secret meetings with my parents concerning our future together as Mr. & Mrs. In fact, it was a Wednesday night in October that he was conducting his first meeting to ask permission for my hand in marriage. I was at bible study, so that gave him a couple of hours alone with them. I just have to say I am really grateful guys are in charge of this part of the initial marriage process. I would pick planning a wedding any day over asking parents' permission and proposing. Anyway, I didn't get to be there so I really have no clue what was said. Obviously, it was good because here we are now 5 months into marriage. But it was this time last year that Aaron spent many of his Wednesday nights planning out the perfect proposal. A time where he could work undivided on his master plan, and tonight I'm really grateful that I am getting to end my Wednesday night by sticking my cold toes on his warm legs as I lay in bed blogging.

Marriage is just a crazy thing, friends. A crazy, beautiful thing. It's definitely a rollercoaster, and while some dips are bigger than the other, overall the ride is fun. Today, I flipped through some of our wedding pictures (which I find myself doing often), and I thought about how incredible our wedding day was. That was 5 months ago, and a lot has happened since then. But really, it was the perfect day. And one of my absolute favorite pictures from the hundreds that were taken that day was right after the ceremony ended. Aaron and I were standing in the foyer of the chapel, and everyone around us is smiling and talking. The photographer just happened to catch us in an unnoticed hug. Completely unaware of what was going on around us, we stood there hugging because we were finally the Davis'. Truthfully, we could have cared less what was going on right then. Nothing else seemed to matter at that moment. Finally, our nerves were behind us. The anxiety was over. The stress of the planning and preparing process was no more, and it was pure bliss. There's nothing that encourages me, uplifts me, overwhelms me, and comforts me like a hug from Aaron. I'm not talking a little "hey, how are you doing?" hug. I'm talking a wrap you up, squeeze you tight, hold you close for a while hug. Because at the end of a long day, it's those same arms that greet me. In the morning on the way out the door, it's those arms that send me off. At night, it's those arms that remind me of how loved I am. When I am upset, those arms are the ones comforting me. When I am excited, those arms are celebrating me. And I just praise the Lord for hugs from my husband because no one can hug me like he can.

I know, this is sappy. I know it's super emotional and lovey dovey, but I think we lose sight of these things over time. We forget that feeling we felt on our wedding day because we've lived a lot of days since then. We forget what all those arms have done for us because life gets in the way and we get busy. We get frustrated, we have disappointments, we walk through difficulties, and we are challenged. But it's so good to know that no matter what, those arms are still there. Long days, hard days, happy days, and regular days. Thank you Lord for having a better plan, for knowing what I needed all along and for making sure I had those arms to hug me for the rest of my days. And thank you, Aaron, for always hugging me!

#635 - For hugs from the hubs!

"In the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as they love their own bodies. For a man who loves his wife actually shows love for himself." - Ephesians 5:28


Comments

Popular Posts