Reason #638

Aaron and I went to the Pumpkin Trail in Lubbock tonight. It's pretty impressive. The trail is at one of the Lubbock parks and there has to be at least a 1000 carved pumpkins. This is our second time to go to the trail, with last year being our first. And so tonight, as simple as it sounds, I am really thankful for tradition.

We are to that point in our relationship now where we've been through every season at least once and so things events are starting to repeat themselves. I love being able to say things like, "Remember when we did this last year?" Because it's the time with Aaron that I'm thankful for. And as we walked through the pumpkin trail, I thought about how amazed I so often am that Aaron and I are actually married. It's true! Sometimes I still can't believe it. I definitely didn't think that would be happening as we walked through the trail last year. Of course, I sure hoped for it then! But it's fun to finally start having traditions together. To have memories that we can call upon because I think it's those annual traditions that really remind you of what all God has done.

When the Israelites started the process of leaving the bondage of Egypt and heading to the Promised Land, the Lord gave them certain traditions to start. They celebrated certain festivals every year to remind themselves of what God had done for them. And, they used these opportunities to tell others who may not have known because they weren't there at the time. This way, they wouldn't forget how far God had brought them. Every year, reminders would pop up and they had the opportunity to praise and thank God for specific things that had happened in their lives. And I think this is a good practice, you know. Because as humans, it's really easy to forget. We get busy, our lives change, and we take for granted the things God does for us. We are grateful when they happen but we move on and we may or may not think about it some day down the road. The Lord knew this about us, and He even had the Israelites make little monuments to remind them so that when they passed by a certain place, it would trigger a memory. Ingenious! And so the pumpkin trail is that for me. A little trigger, a tradition, to remind me of the great things God has done in my life.

I hated October, you know. I really did. I hated the last 3 months of the year if I'm being honest. Because these are the months where the memories are made. These are the months packed full with activities and holidays. But God has very much worked with me just like He did with the Israelites. He continues to take me back to certain places and give me new memories. And, what's even better than that, is that these new memories are becoming traditions. When I think back on them now, I think about them with Aaron. I think about where our lives were at that point. I think about how much has changed since then. And I just praise God for the reminder, for the memory, and for the new traditions!

#638 - For traditions!

"So Moses said to the people, “This is a day to remember forever—the day you left Egypt, the place of your slavery. Today the Lord has brought you out by the power of his mighty hand." - Exodus 13:3

Comments

Popular Posts