Reason #645

Well, it's about that time again. Time for me to get sick, as if I haven't already been sick enough this year. I'll go ahead and say this has been the "sickest" year of my life. My last spell was in May, so I did have a longer stretch this time. This means I ought to be expecting my next spell right around Christmas. The good thing is, I can at least plan ahead.

If you recall, I had a little fender bender about a month ago. Quick recap: I was driving down the street, and I passed a truck that appeared to be parked next to the curb. Next thing I know, he is pulling out to turn and catches the backside of my car. No serious damage was done, just some dents and scraping. Of course, it was enough to require repairs. I was thankful that it wasn't my fault so that my insurance wouldn't go up. I knew his would cover the damage and so I wasn't too terribly concerned. He apologized, and I told him no big deal. Accidents happen. The only thing I was annoyed about was the fact that I was late getting to work.

Well, yesterday, I finally got a call back from the insurance company. To my surprise, they let me know they would not be covering the costs of any repairs. Why, you may ask? Well, on September 30th, at 1:00-ish PM, the wreck occurred. On September 30th, and 12:00AM, the at fault driver's insurance policy expired, and he renewed it on October 1st without letting them know of the accident. Go figure. Leave it to the insurance companies to stick it to you one way or the other. The ever so helpful claims adjustor did let me know that I could file an uninsured driver's claim and only have to pay $250 out of my pocket for repairs. Let's just say I wasn't happy to hear this. Because, as the adjustor agreed with me, this wreck was not my fault. She stated that it wasn't fair for me to have to pay anything towards it, and I agreed. So I have two options, well actually I have 3. I can leave my car as is, I can pay for the repairs, or I can file a lawsuit.

Two Novembers ago, I had a little accident that was completely my fault. I was having a horrific weekend, to say the least. I was driving to meet my parents' at church. I was a little late arriving, and so I was torn between pulling to the first spot I saw and attempting to get closer to the door because it was cold. I misgauged how far I had driven forward before deciding to pull into the closest spot, and when I turned the front side of my car scraped up the entire side of the car parked next to me. This was not what I needed. Insult to injury. So I pulled a notepad out of the back of my car, scribble down my name and number, apologized for the huge scratch, and told them I'd pay for it. After all, that's the right thing to do. I was fuming when I got inside. My dad told me not to worry about it, and after the service he went out to assess the damage with me. The car's owners stood next to the car reading my note. I walked up, introduced myself as the author of the note, and told them I'd be more than happy to take care of the damage. They were so kind and patient, walked around the car to see what had happened, and then looked up at me and said "Nah, don't worry about it. It's really not a big deal." I was floored. Truth be told, people usually freak out about their cars and throw fits. These people practiced such grace, and they had no idea what they had done for me. They had no idea how much I needed them to overlook this little offense, financially speaking. They didn't know how much they were blessing me by letting me off the hook. Because I really needed it that day. Little did they know that I was going through the most heartbreaking time of my life, and they encouraged me at a time I needed it the most by not adding to my troubles.

Every ounce of me wants this at-fault driver to pay for the damage he caused. I don't think it's fair that I have to, but tonight my dad reminded me of this story. Because see, sometimes it's more important to practice grace than it is to make people pay for the damage they've done. Sometimes it's better to overlook an offense than to get justice. Because you never know what people are going through. You never know what their bank accounts look like. You don't know the real reason why they were so distracted while driving. And you never know how you can bless someone by showing mercy.

Jesus does this for us everyday. Gracious to not make us pay for the damage we cause. Quick to overlook our offenses and offer us forgiveness. And I suppose this is my opportunity to do for someone else what was once done for me. To do the right thing rather than the selfish thing. And I praise God that, just like in the other situation, He will provide. That cars are just cars, and money is just money, but His blessings are innumerable.

#645 - For an opportunity to bless others in the way I have been blessed because God's blessings are innumerable.

“Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you." - Matthew 7:12

Comments

Popular Posts