Reason #836

A year ago today, I woke up to the sound of rain. It had been forecasted, and for once, the forecast was spot on. We needed rain, just like we do right now. And everyone told me, "Rain on your wedding day is good luck!"

I took a quick shower and waited for my dad to come pick me up. I felt weird. It was hard to explain. Kind of numb, excited, shocked maybe. I don't know. But more than anything I felt calm, calm and peaceful in a way I couldn't describe. My dad honked in the drive way, and I opened up the garage door to exit. Sitting on my car's hood was a dozen roses, some chocolate, and a card. Somehow, Aaron snuck into my garage undetected to leave me a little wedding day surprise. I eagerly opened the card to see what my groom-to-be had to say. The card said:

Love where we're going, Love where we've been, Love being anywhere as long as I'm with you.

And he wrote: Just wanted you to start off you day knowing how much I love you. I can't wait to see you and I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you.

I woke up this morning to sunshine. It was a beautiful day to celebrate our anniversary. A perfect day, again, just like our wedding day was. I thought about how we joked that, due to the amount of rain on our wedding day, we'd have enough luck to last us a lifetime. But the truth is, Aaron and I don't have luck. Luck isn't what keeps you together. It's not what binds your hearts. It doesn't really do anything for your marriage. Aaron and I are lucky to have found one another, but that's about it as far as luck would have it. Because the moment love entered into the picture it was a new game. You know, love can seem complicated. It can seem difficult and hard and really confusing. But when I think about Aaron, love is easy. Love is simple and authentic. It's not wrapped in this fancy perception. It doesn't have to persuade or convince or put on a production. It doesn't need to be changed or altered in any sort of form. It just exists. In the small, everyday ways, love is always there.

It's really hard to sum up 365 days in one post. It's hard to confine all the things I've learned and experienced over this past year to one single entry. And so I won't. I'll stick with love because that's really it. I've learned love in a new way this year. I've experienced love in a way I never have before this year. And Aaron's card said it best. No matter where we are, what we are going through, being together is all that matters. We've had a full year, an unforgettable year, and an incredible year. A year of growth and new experiences, of challenges, and of victories and there is no one else I'd rather go through all of those things with him.

So thank you, Aaron, for giving me the opportunity to be yours. For blessing my life in countless ways thus far. For loving me deeply, loving me relentlessly, loving me completely, and loving me simply. For being a man of your word and for holding true to your vows. For walking with integrity and for always being trustworthy. I am proud of you, of the man you are, and of the man you are becoming. My life has become so much richer, so much sweeter, because of you. And so I praise God for you. I praise Him for allowing me to a part of your life and of all of the mighty and incredible things He is doing in you and through you. You are one of a kind, and I couldn't have asked for a better husband because you are, hands down, the best.

One year under our belts, and I've loved spending every moment of it with you. Here's to a million more!

#836 - For a year as Mrs. Davis!

"Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." - 1 Corinthians 13:7

Comments

Popular Posts