Reason #853

I am always thankful for a 4 day work week. Memorial Day came at just the right time. I was in need of a day off, and the stretch between President's Day and Memorial Day is far too long. In less than 3 weeks, we will be in Guatemala. I haven't had a week off from work since our honeymoon last May, so I am anxiously counting down the days until our trip.

Aaron and I got a little spoiled having Monday off, thus making it extremely hard to get out of bed this morning. We wished for another day off but headed to our respective offices instead. Thankfully, the day passed quickly. That doesn't always happen. We soon found ourselves sitting down for dinner and grateful for an evening to rest. Of course, pretty much every evening is our evening to rest. I think I can confidently dub this our "resting" season. I'm sure it won't last forever.

I'll be really honest. Some days I don't want to work. I don't want to get up and go sit at a desk for 8 hours. Some days I want to have a "free lance" job. A job that is really a hobby. A job that pays well yet has the schedule I desire. I want to stay home and clean out my house during the week. I want to run my errands during the week days so I don't have to spend all weekend playing catch up. I want to sleep until about 9:00 or 10:00 so that I actually feel rested, and I want to enjoy leisurely activities at well, my own leisure. I want to live the life I am living minus the whole job part so that I can travel, shop, play, and nap. Basically, I want to live the dream.

But we have bills to pay. We have a house and electricity, running water, and working cars. We have food in the pantry, clothes in the closets, a well groomed puppy, and a TV to watch when we want. Unfortunately, none of it pays for itself. And every night I thank the Lord for all the blessings He has poured out on us only to realize the reason we have any of it is because we have jobs. Because we diligently go in every day from 8:00 - 5:00, Monday through Friday, we can make ends meet. And so the real blessing isn't our things, the blessing is in the fact that we can work. That, although, millions of people have been in and out of work for about 6 years now, God has faithfully provided us with jobs the entire time. That can change in an instant. It's something we take for granted, something we expect, and I forget that the only reason I have is because God has given.

So I'll get up tomorrow and I'll go to work. I'll probably be a little sleepy, and when I step outside into the warm sunshine during lunch, I'm sure it'll make it even harder to spend the afternoon inside. But I'll be grateful that I get to. Grateful that God has given me a place to go every day. A place that even pays me to spend my time there. And at the end of the day, I'll remember to give thanks for another day of life, another day of good health, and another day of work.

#853 - For a place to go every day... and for the fact that I get paid to be there.

"A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies ends up in poverty." - Proverbs 28:19

Comments

Popular Posts