Reason #841

I spent the evening cleaning the house, and when I was done I went to the grocery store. I'm usually not a fan of going to the store, but I love going at night during the weekdays. It's practically empty. You don't have to worry about crowds, you can shop at your own pace, and it's quiet and orderly. Sometimes I just like to go to the store for that very reason. It's kind of therapeutic. I wander up and down the aisles looking at the selection of cereal boxes and flavors of tea. I check out the ice cream in the freezer section. And, oddly, enough I find it very peaceful. Time where I can be completely quiet, there are no expectations, and I can just be by myself. Sometimes alone time is necessary.

I have had more mind-blowingly (if that's a real word) frustrating experiences these past two weeks than I can handle, and I feel like I am about at my tipping point. I am surprised I still have hair on my head because more often than not, I have been tempted to reach up and pull a handful out. And tonight at the store, I thought about how I wish I could retreat. How I wish I could just escape from everything, take a trip to the mountains, and just have a weekend of alone time. And, honestly, I think the real reason I feel this way is because God has used these experiences to reveal some ugly truths about myself that I'd rather just ignore.

What if the answer is no? What if God tells you no? If you're like me, you probably ask Him a billion questions. Thank goodness He is patient. I can't stand being asked question after question which is why I don't work with children. Anyway, what if the answer to your questions is no? What if it's a firm no, too? That's a hard pill to swallow because about 99.9% of humans don't like to hear no. No is final. No is absolute. We don't ask for the purpose of hearing no, and there's always that little part of us that refuses to accept it.

So why would God tell us no, especially when it's something we really want? Even when it seems so good? God knows our intentions. He knows the reason behind our asking. And, if we're being truthful, it's usually pure selfishness. We usually ask not because we really need it but because we really want it. And if we really want to be honest, we usually ask already knowing the answer is no. But maybe, just maybe, we can reason Him into a different answer this time, we think. Maybe He'll change His mind. Or maybe we just are too stubborn to submit to His ways.

But no leads us to ask "So then why, God? If you're going to say no, then tell me why. Explain this to me because maybe you aren't looking at this from my point of view. Maybe you're not seeing the whole picture or really understanding where I am going with this. If you'll let me know your reasoning, that would help." But would it really help? Would it make you any happier if God actually went through the whole process of why He's telling you no? Sometimes the why behind the answer isn't going to appease us anymore than simply getting the answer. And sometimes, whether or not we like it, we have to realize that God is supreme, that God is always right, and that God owes us no explanation.

Jesus asked for the cup to be removed. He asked for a pardon from the cross. God said no. Jesus knew that was the likely answer. He still asked but He accepted God's no. He didn't question, He didn't ask God for reconsideration or a further explanation. And although it wasn't the answer Jesus was looking for, it was the best answer. Because had God changed His mind and said yes, where would that leave you and me? No was the biggest act of love that God showed us, and because He said no, our lives were blessed more than we could have ever imagined.

It never hurts to ask, and He welcomes our questions. But when we ask we should be prepared for any answer. When we ask, we should accept a no, should we receive it, rather than trying to power through and do what we want anyway. Because God's got a reason for no. You don't have to like it, agree with it, or understand it. Knowing full well every detail, seeing the future, putting the pieces together, and taking all things in to account, He answers in the best way. The best way for all people, not just for you. And so sometimes it's no. That's okay. No is an answer and we should praise God for being faithful to answer and being just in His ways. And when we submit to the no, when we accept God's answer, we can then be open to the things He has in store for us, which are far better than we could ever image. There's always a reason for every no, and if we'll stick through, we often see that it really was the very best answer after all.

#841 - Because even His "no" is the very best answer.

“When you pray, don’t babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!" - Matthew 6:7-8

Comments

Popular Posts