Reason #847

You can't put a price on peace of mind. I've been having some eye issues lately, and I began to get a little concerned earlier in the week. My vision was starting to get blurry and my eyes were not cooperating. I try not to jump to major conclusions for minor events, but I only have one set of eyes and I'd like to keep and use them for the rest of my days. Thankfully, I was due for my annual check up anyway, so I made an appointment for this afternoon. I had considered what might possibly be wrong, and I didn't think it would be anything serious. But there was this little thought in the back of my mind that there very well could be. What if I had developed some degenerative eye disease and this was the start of it? What if my eye sight, which is already really bad, starts getting even worse? What if it got to the point where it couldn't be corrected? Then what?

I drove to work this morning and I prayed about it. The Lord brought to my mind the story of Bartimeaus.

Then they reached Jericho, and as Jesus and his disciples left town, a large crowd followed him. A blind beggar named Bartimaeus (son of Timaeus) was sitting beside the road. When Bartimaeus heard that Jesus of Nazareth was nearby, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” “Be quiet!” many of the people yelled at him. But he only shouted louder, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” When Jesus heard him, he stopped and said, “Tell him to come here.” So they called the blind man. “Cheer up,” they said. “Come on, he’s calling you!” Bartimaeus threw aside his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus. “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked. “My rabbi,” the blind man said, “I want to see!” And Jesus said to him, “Go, for your faith has healed you.” Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus down the road. - Mark 10:46-52

My eyes aren't the problem. In fact, aside from having poor vision, they are perfectly healthy, praise the Lord. But sometimes I am just like Bartimeaus. Sitting on the side of the road, and I can't see Him. Spiritually speaking, I am so blind. Caught up in my own little world, looking inwardly, and that's all I can see. Me, me, me. And I begin to feel sorry for myself. Will this ever be over? Will I ever get past this? Will things ever change? And I sit and I beg as if I have no other option. Hoping that something will change somehow and fully believing that until then, I have to helplessly wait. I have to wait on someone to do it for me. Wait and wallow in my current situation because I feel like I can't do anything to change it.

I know Bartimaues had those days. He had to have, he's human. I know he felt hopeless, helpless, and stuck in his circumstances. But look at what he did when he heard Jesus. He couldn't see Jesus, but he knew he was there. And in the darkness, as he blindly stumbled around, he began calling out to Jesus. Jesus, have mercy on me! Jesus, don't leave me here in this desperate state! Jesus, I need you! Jesus, I am depending on you to help me! Jesus, change me! And Jesus heard him. As he yelled out over the crowd, over the noise and the attempts to conceal his pleas, Jesus heard him. Jesus found him, met him right where he was, and for the first time in his life, Bartimeaus saw Jesus with his own eyes.

Faith opens our eyes. The faith to call out to Jesus for help. Because it takes faith to believe that He will make himself known to us. That He will enter into our darkness and unveil our eyes. And whether or not we can see him, I think that should be our prayer every day. I know it should be mine. Jesus, have mercy on me! Open my eyes to see you, and keep my eyes fixed on you. Jesus, Healer, take away the blinders. Jesus, Savior, change my life. Jesus, let me see your face. Don't let me miss an opportunity to encounter you. Be my focus, be my guide. Jesus, I will follow you.

#847 - Because Jesus opens our eyes to see Him.

"...the Lord gives sight to the blind, the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down, the Lord loves the righteous." - Psalm 146:8

Comments

Popular Posts