Reason #266

I got to work really, really early this morning. I was tired, and it showed. I had a hard time getting out of bed, so breakfast didn't make the cut. I stood in the bank, growling stomach and sleepy eyes, and I was glad that it was Friday. Glad that this is going to be a long weekend. I have been out of my office for three weeks now. I have been doing a job that is not part of my job description. It has been a nice change of pace, however, there have been many moments where I wished to be back in my office. Frustrated customers, angry comments, eye rolling, impatience and a lack of understanding was really starting to get to me. And so I was glad that this was the last morning I would be faced with these issues. A man drove up and when I greeted him, he said, "You're sure looking bright and cheerful this morning." We made small talk as I helped him and when I was finished he said, "Do you like breakfast burritos?" Do I ever! So this kind man, a man I met for the first time this morning, drove across the street and bought me a breakfast burrito. He was back in minutes and my tastbuds, stomach and heart were all very grateful.

I did nothing to deserve this random act of kindness. I was simply doing my job. This man owed me nothing. I deserved no special treatment for the way I interacted with him. In fact, I treated him the same way I treat every other customer I work with. But he took the time to stop and do something nice. Why? I don't know. Maybe someone did something nice for him yesterday and he was paying it forward. Maybe he could hear my stomach growling and had sympathy for me. I don't know why he decided to go out of his way to bring breakfast to a girl he didn't know, but I'm glad he did.

And I thought about how often the Lord does this for me. He fills my days with little acts of kindness. Kindness that is undeserved. Because I'm just simply living life. I'm not out saving the world or doing anything in particular that would warrant special attention or treatment. But He showers it upon me anyway. Why? Truthfully, I don't know why He goes out of His way to do nice things for a girl who is just like everyone else. A girl who is made of the same dirt and dust we are all made of. I'm just a simple human, a girl who trips and tumbles, who is slightly forgetful and who often does a pretty good job of just blending in. No, I'm not one who should deserve such sweet surprises of genunie kindness, but God is generous to lavish them up on me just because. Because He loves me, He cares for me, and He desires to have a relationship with me.

So I'm grateful for every kind thing He does, big or small. Because, really, there's an overwhleming amount when I stop to add them up each day. And so I just pray that my eyes are opened to seeing them, my heart is opened to receiving them, and my mind is able to comprehend the goodness coming straight from Him hand. How sweet it is to receive little blessings just because...

#266 - Because He blesses us with acts of random of kindness just because.

"I will tell of the kindnesses of the LORD, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the LORD has done for us..." - Isaiah 63:7

Comments

Popular Posts