Reason #273

There are a lot of things we have to do in life. We have to pay our debts, we have to pay taxes, we have to drive the speed limit, we have to obey the laws. Well, we don’t have to do these things, but it’s strongly suggested that we do. Truthfully, I suppose we never really have to do anything. We do, however, face some serious consequences if we don’t do these things, the things we “have” to do.
 
Aside from that, the world tells us we have to do a lot of other things. We have to be healthy, we have to be successful, we have to look a certain way, we have to be a part of this group, we have to believe this way, we have to agree with that, we have to give to this, we have to posses this, we have to spend our time here, and on and on and on. I gets exhausting,having to do all of these things. And, probably just like you, I get tired of being told what I have to do. Because the truth is, sometimes I just don’t want to do it. But there’s pressure to perform, pressure to conform, pressure to give in or keep quiet, pressure to meet expectations, and so we just end up doing what we feel wehave to do whether or not we really want to.
 
“You stay the same through the ages. Your love never changes. There may be pain in the night, but joy comes in the morning. And when the oceans rage, I don’thave to be afraid. Because I know that you love me. Your love never fails…”
 
This song has been stuck in my head for a few days now. Over and over, I have sang this chorus to myself and as I repeated the words this morning,have stuck out to me. I don’t have to. I don’t have to be afraid. I have a choice of what I will do, but I certainly don’thave to. I don’t have to do what the world tells me or expects of me. When the oceans rage, whatever those oceans may be, I don’t have to be scared. Because here’s what the world says, “Be afraid. Be worried. This could overwhelm you and you could drown. Don’t you know how powerful these waves are? They could knock you off your feet. These waves could pull you under and out to sea. So be afraid, be very afraid. This is out of your control, you can’t take this on by yourself. Be prepared to be consumed.” And the world might be right about some of that. I can’t do it. I’ve tried, and it’s impossible to effectively combat raging oceans on your own. Try it, you will drown. You will be consumed and overwhelmed, no doubt. But when you look at those waves, understand that you don’t have to be afraid. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “…perfect love expels all fear” (1 John 4:17). He loves us with an unfailing love. Simple as that. The oceans will rage, they most certainly will. The waves will crash fiercely and powerfully. But don’t feel like you have to be afraid, because you don’t. Don’t feel like youhave to listen to the waves or the raging ocean, because you don’t. You have a choice, and ultimately, you don’t everhave to do anything you don’t want to. So, I don’t know about you, but I’m thankful that I serve a God who gives me a choice when I face raging oceans. And since I don’thave to be afraid, I’m not going to.
 
#273 – Because He gives us options, and fear is one we don’t have to feel.
 
“God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!” – Psalm 46:1-3

Comments

Popular Posts