Reason #275

As I drove home from lunch this afternoon, a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. Well, it didn't completely crack it. It created a little starbust in the glass. A "dent," as my dad called it. This is the first time I've had this happen to my windshield since I've had my car. My dad has always been my go-to guy for repair questions, so I called and asked what I needed to do to get this "dent" removed and fix my windshield. He told me to call the insurance agency, let them know I needed it repaired and they'd take care of it from there. That's all. Simple enough!

Isn't this life? We're moving right along at a steady pace and all of the sudden a rock comes flying our way. Out of now where, this little object speeds towards us and we can't avoid it. It's coming so quickly that we don't even see it until the damage has been done. And so there's a crack. A dent. A chunk missing from what was complete a few short seconds ago. Truthfully, it's irritating, isn't it? A harmless little rock thrown in just the right direction at just the right speed can do such damage. Now, repair has to be done and it can be inconvenient. It takes time, money, effort. But there's no way a cracked windshield can repair itself. There is no way you can do it on your own, either. Unless you have the knowledge of how to repair glass, and unless you have the tools to do it, you're stuck with a crack or a dent until a knowledgeable scource can fix it for you. But how does the windshield repair company know you need their help if you don't seek it out? How can they be of assistance if you don't let them know what has happened and allow them to work on the windshield? Broken glass can only be repaired my those who know what they're doing, so until it's in their hands, it's going to stay that way.

Rocks come. Little tiny things that catch you off guard. Sometimes they don't leave a mark, but sometimes they do. Sometimes they begin as a little dent, and if not addressed and repaired, can lead to a huge crack. Sure, it can be inconvenient to fix. It can be hard to fix, too. But how much easier is it to fix a dent before it turns into a crack that eventually ruins the windshield and causes the whole thing to be replaced? So I had a rock thrown my way today, figuratively and literally speaking. I wasn't expecting either one, and both mad me mad. But I realized that there wasn't a whole lot I could do to take care of either one. I could stay mad, ignore them and allow them to potentially spread into something larger, or I could get help. I chose the latter. And as I drove to church this evening, I just asked Him for help. I fully realize that I can't repair these dents on my own. I am not capable of such a task, but He is. Because this isn't the first dent I've had in life. This isn't the first unexpected rock that I have collided with. And everytime, He is faithful to show up and repair the damage that has been done. So I'm grateful to serve a God of restoration. A God who knows exactly how to handle any and every situation life throws our way. Because nothing catches Him off guard, nothing surprises Him. And all I have to do is ask. All I have to do is simply let Him know I need His help, and He takes care of it.

#275 - Because He takes care of the "dents" to bring about restoration.

"In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation." - 1 Peter 5:10

Comments

Popular Posts