Reason #277

Wait. Hold on. But I am not slow to act. I eat fast, talk fast, think fast and walk fast. In other words, I move at a fast pace. Because I am a girl who knows what she wants, and being idle bothers me. It doesn't take me long to make up my mind. I am a quick decision maker who doesn't understand why others may take a longer time to process things.

But I've had a hard time making up my mind. I thought it would be an easier decision. Really, I thought it would go differently. But sometimes things don't go the way you expect them to or think they should, and so I just didn't know what to do. Really, I was torn between two options. Part of me wanted to stay, to wait, to give it a chance. Part of me wanted to venture out, move on, start fresh. Both options sounded good and both were equally convincing. So because I didn't know what to do, I decided to do nothing at all. I know, sounds like I took the easy way out. But it hasn't been easy. Doing nothing has been a choice. However, I suppose in doing nothing, I actually did something. But I thought back to the other choices I've made in life. I thought back to the other times where I've been torn between two decisions and I tried to remember what I did and what resulted. Here's what I discovered. I've always tried to take the more desireable way out. I've looked at things from my perspective, thinking solely about what I wanted, and made a quick decision based on how I felt. But I've since learned that acting on emotions is hardly the way to go. And when you can't decide what to do, when you keep praying about it and the direction doesn't seem very clear, maybe it's for a reason. Maybe your path isn't being lit elsewhere because you're right where you need to be.

So after wrestling with what decision I should make, and finally deciding to do nothing, I received unexpected and surprising news yesterday. And it made sense. I didn't really see this coming, but now I understood why I never felt completely at peace with letting my emotions decide for me. Now, I understood why I couldn't seem to quickly make a decision. Because I am right where I was supposed to be, and had I not waited, had I taken the more desireable path quickly, I wouldn't have the opportunity I have now been afforded.

I still have to wait. I still have to be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day and I realize that will be the theme here, too. But here's what I've learned over the past year as I've been faced with a lot of big decisions. If you don't know what to do, don't act quickly. Stay where you are until you're sure of the direction to go. Because if you're praying and asking, He'll let you know what to do, and trust me, it's better to not act until you know than to act and be completely wrong. So be open to whatever it is, even if it doesn't seem like the most desireable option at the time. And you'll know when it's right. How, you may ask? Peace. Peace that surpasses all understanding. It floods your heart, calms your anxities, and the assurance is undeniable. So if you don't know what to do, wait until you know. And if you know what to do, then don't hesitate to do it. After all, you'll never regret making the right decision. And if you have to wait a bit to find out what it is, well, it will be worth the wait.

#277 - Because He gives us a peace to let us know it was the right decision.

"Those who love your instructions have great peace and do not stumble." Psalm 119:165

Comments

  1. So needed to read this, this morning. Thank you. This is exactly where I am right now.
    "From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides You who acts for those who wait for Him." Isaiah 64:4

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts