Reason #271

Don't judge a book by its cover. It's true. Because you never know the story until you flip through the pages. You never know what's been scribbled, scratched out, penned. Yet we all do it. I do it. But here's the thing about a story. Once it's written, it's written. It becomes part of history, history in the making.

We became friends in elementary school. We lived close to one another so slumber parties and bike rides were on our list of regular activities. We shared a deep, abiding love for Jonathan Taylor Thomas and she even went as far as to write him fan mail. I even remember the post card she received from him in return. We scrutinized the handwriting convincing ourselves that he actually wrote it himself. A beautiful girl. Talented, too. She moved to the other side of town after elementary school. Slumber parties and bike rides became extinct, but we remained friends.

High school seems to drag out forever, doesn't it? It seems like those years never end and you look back and realize that you've now been out of high school longer than you were in high school and junior high combined. Those years seem so vitally important at the time. Those 4 short years of life seem as if they can make or break you. So much pressure, so much possibility, so much that is unknown and you're just trying to figure it out. Truth is, those same feelings carry on into college and thereafter. And so graduation came, we got our diplomas and all went our seperate ways.

Facebook became popular the year I entered into college. Facebook, oh Facebook. And really, that's exactly how we judge those other books, by Facebook. Our lives become an open book. Pictures posted, albums created, comments, statues, everything laid out on one simple page. More connected than we ever thought we'd be. Some times it's convenient, other times it's not. Truthfully, that all depends on which page of the book you're viewing.

Well, as we all know, Facebook is the way to go when reconnecting with people you haven't seen in years. You can spend 5 minutes catching yourself up on 5 years worth of information without saying a single word. So we did this. My friend and I, that is. It has been years, but I still remember her. She's still as beautiful as ever and looks just like the girl I grew up with. But our lives have changed, drastically. Our lives have gone in different directions, however life just happened to also thrust us into a similar direction. The fall, a hard season for the both of us. I didn't know, neither did she. Miles and years between us and we had no clue. And so as we sent our short yet informative messages to one another, my heart was a little heavy. My heart hurt because I know how it feels. It hurt because I could so easily sympathize. A really beautiful girl who had to go through a really ugly situation, and frankly, it just made me mad. But as I read on she said it perfectly, "I couldn't have survived without God carrying me."

Me either.

I thought about her, I thought about me. This is history. These pages were written and this chapter is over. No more, ever again. But such is life. Every moment is history. And just like every history book, one thing leads to another. So maybe you can't re-write history, maybe you can't change it, but there are only blank pages going forward, and if you'll let Him fill them, the Author and Perfector will give you some really incredible moments that will become history in the making!

#271 - Because of new history in the making!

"Those who are wise will take all this to heart; they will see in our history the faithful love of the Lord." - Psalm 107:43

Comments

Popular Posts