Reason #287

It was one of those mornings. Friday morning, finally. This week seemed to pass slowly but looking back on it, I don't know where the week went. Really, it was kind of a blur. I woke up freezing cold. I fell asleep with  my fan on and a cold front moved in last night. Not a good combination. The only warm part of me was the 6 inches of space on my back where Scout was snuggled. I finally managed to get out of bed later than I wanted. Nothing was working for me either. I couldn't decide what to wear and my hair was not cooperating. I finally resolved that I was going to just have to go in to work looking sub-par because time was up.

I finally made it to work, and as I sipped my morning cup of chai, I visited with one of my co-workers about life. We talked about joy. Joy and happiness. Not just our own but for others. Being joyful and happy for others. She shared a really sweet, slightly sad story with me. A friend of hers had gone through a tough time of loss and was finally experiencing a joyful season. A season full of new life and abundance. A season of gratitude. And we both decided that the reason this new season was so joyful for her friend was because of what she had been through. Her trials, her pain, her trek through the valley made this new found joy even sweeter than normal. And so we were both extremely happy for this girl. A girl she knows well. A girl she has watched walk through difficult and completely undesireable circumstances was now finally experiencing really good things. It was bittersweet, I suppose you could say. I don't know this girl. I simply know her story. As my heart hurt for her momentarily, I was so excited to know that God had brought beauty from her ashes. And so I was thankful for that. Thankful that she was getting to enjoy new blessings. And I was happy for her, sincerely happy to know that life had come full circle for her.

I'm thankful that God places others in our lives to walk through circumstances with. And as thankful as I am to have a shoulder to cry on when I'm sad, a hand to hold when I'm scared, arms to embrace me when I'm down, ears to listen when I'm in need of encouragement, I'm so grateful to have people to rejoice with when things are going well. I've come to realize that we were never, ever intended to walk this journey of life alone. Good or bad, we were meant to walk through it together. And so this is one of those seasons for me, too. A season that is sweeter than normal because of what I've been through. What was a long trek of trials has morphed into a joyous abundance of blessings. And I'm happy. Just as simple as that. I'm happy. And I'm grateful that I get to share in the happiness. Whether it be my own or someone else's, I'm thankful for happy endings. A story has a lot of lines, and truthfully, it can go in many different directions. But give it some time, and eventually there will come about a happy ending. It may be bitter long before it's sweet, but once you get to that sweet moment you'll be all the more thankful for it.

#287 - For happy times!

"So I concluded there is nothing better than to be happy and enjoy ourselves as long as we can." - Ecclesiastes 3:12

Comments

Popular Posts