Reason #385

Finally, February is here! Is it just me, or did January take its sweet time to pass? I hit the ground running this morning and didn't stop until about 8:00PM. Today was fast and furious, and there was no rest for the weary.

Today is an extra important day. Today, my sweet dad is celebrating another year of life! Yay, Dad! Happy birthday! My mom and I are out of town this weekend, leaving him alone to celebrate. I'll admit that I do feel bad about this (so sorry, Dad), however, we left him in good hands... or paws, shall I say. This weekend, it's Scout and Dad. The mighty duo. Seriously, these two are BFF's if I've ever seen any. And if you know my dad, or have at least seen the man, you wouldn't peg him as the small dog type. He may have never guessed he himself would be a lover of tiny animals either, however, he has fallen into the trap that many have. It's amazing how a small, sweet, furry animal can quickly bring out the soft side in the manliest of men. Scout has a knack for this. Anyhow, these two have grown quite close over the past year and a half, and I'm pretty sure she may be surpassing his offspring in rank these days.

When I got Scout, she was 2.5 pounds. I was paranoid to let her go outside by herself because I just knew a hawk would spot her and peg her as lunch. Every time she went outside I went with her, so there was no way she was going to be an outside dog. Now, I would hardly expect any animal or person to last an entire day without having a bathroom break. I don't care how well kennel training is supposed to work, it's just cruel to expect someone or something to hold it for 8+ hours. I worked all the way across town until a month ago and only had 30 minute lunches. This created quite a delimma for me, as I was uncertain how I was going to let Scout out every day. I suppose the only disadvantage to having a small, indoor dog is that you can't be gone from home for more than 4-5 hours at a time. Large dogs can fend for themselves in the backyard all day. Should a mighty wind gust come blowing through, Scout would be out of luck. And so, my dad, having flexible hours and being an awesome man, stepped up and told me he'd take the responsibility of checking on Scout each day at lunch. This meant the world to me because Scout meant so much to me. This also took one major worry away from me because I knew I could trust him to keep his word. And so, every day, he went to check on her.

Naturally, these two bonded quickly. Grampy (as Scout likes to refer to him) became Scout's #1 man very quickly. But, I figure it's pretty hard to see someone every day and not grow to love them dearly, right? And you know, they say dogs are a good judge of character, and Scout knows a good character when she sees one. So my dad began really helping me out immensly with Scout. He would take her to the vet, take her to the groomer's, give her her medicine, and do whatever else needed to be done. I couldn't have been more grateful. And I know you're thinking, "Come on, it's a dog." But Scout's means so much more to me than that. This is not news, by any means. And it just really meant a lot to me that my dad was willing to do this. Scout is not his dog, and she's not his responsibility. But he took on this job willingly and he never complained. He never griped about it or made me feel like I was inconveniencing him. And, more than anything, it just meant the world to me that my dad was there for me when I needed him.

Well, my new job allows me to go home for lunch. I told my dad he was relieved of his lunch duties, and after a week, he couldn't stand it any longer. So, every day, Scout and Grampy spend the afternoon together. My dad is in the retiring process and has more time on his hands than ever. And, I suppose now, Scout is returning the favor. Scout's new responsibility is to keep him company in the afternoon, a job she takes seriously. And believe me, she does this willingly and without complaint. But that's what BFF's do for one another. They are there for you anytime you need them, willing to do whatever it is you need them to do.

So, Dad, sorry we aren't there to spend celebrate with you today, but I know Scout was glad to spend your big day with you. I'm thankful God has allowed us another year together. It seems like it was just the other week that I was writing Reason #19 in honor of your last birthday. All those things still hold true, but as I think about you while writing tonight's reason, my heart is so grateful for the fact that you've always been there for me. No matter what it was, you've been there. Thank you for always going out of your way to help me, to take care of me, to meet my needs, and to be there for me every single time I've needed you. And, most importantly, thank you for being trustworthy and for always being a man of your word. There are no words that could ever express my gratitude for all you've done for me and for all that you still continue to do, but I hope you know how much I apprecaite you. And Scout, well, she feels the exact same way, too. We both love to you pieces and then some!

Happy, happy birthday!

#385 - For a dad who is a man of his word and is always there for me, no matter what!


 

 
 


"The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for you." - Psalm 9:9-10

Comments

Popular Posts