Reason #412

February, where did you go? Seriously, I feel like the month just started. It doesn't seem like it was 4 weeks ago that my mom and I were heading out of town to see my sweet friend, Emily. Every single day of this month has been jam packed. If work hasn't been hectic, the evenings have been. I really don't even count the weekends any more because they are busier than the weekdays! But that's just fine with me. I've got a lot to get done, some of it may or may not get done, but I'm just going to do what I can and not worry about the rest. I'm glad tomorrow is March. March just so happens to be one of my favorite months, and I always look forward to its arrival.

I love spring. Summer is nice, but spring is my favorite. To me, March marks the start of spring. I realize that spring doesn't officially start until the end of March but close enough. I don't particularly care for January or February, and were it not for the holidays, I wouldn't be a fan of November and December either. And so 4 months of winter and darkness leave me itching for warmth. Longer days, sunny weather, a little color. I'm ready to be outside, ready to wear dresses and sandals, ready for a change of seasons.

I love taking walks. There's nothing more enjoyable, relaxing, and therapeutic than taking a stroll as the sun shines down on you. Walking and talking has to be one of my top 5 favorite activities. When I was working at ASB, I was fortunate to have a co-worker who felt the same way about taking walks. Our offices were in the basement, so we'd find ourselves craving a taste of the outside world. The only good remedy for our cooped up feelings was to take a break and make a few laps around the building. We were both fans of flats, but even on the days that I wore heels, I would just suck it up and go because that's how much I looked forward to our walks. We would lap the building and parking lot twice, and fortunately for us, there was a lot of ground to cover. We talked about all sorts of random things, and it didn't take long for our walks to become an expected part of our day. And maybe that's just another reason I really loved my job there so much. I actually got to work with my friends, and it makes a world of difference when you can be friends with the people you spend the majority of your day with.

Well, lately, I've been finding myself craving afternoon walks. I am now surrounded by windows and have a great view of the outside world, so beautiful days are kind of a tease. I find myself wishing I could just have a few minutes and a good friend to lap the parking lot with, but I suppose you can't have it all. And as I was thinking about this today, missing those days, my friend, and the opportunity to take a mid-afternoon walk, my Southern Baptist playlist popped into my head and the words of an old song began to come to mind.

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

There are a few ways, in my mind, that you grow close to people. Live with them, share meals with them, travel with them, go through difficulties with them, and walk with them. Because you learn a lot about someone when you walk with them. After all, what else, besides talking, are you going to do as you walk? You share your heart, you give advice, you get advice, and you find relief. Some walks have better conversations than others, but either way, it's a time to do something good for your body and soul. Who we walk with can really make a big difference in our lives. And I'm so thankful that God has continued to walk day in and day out with me. Some days, I've had a lot to say. Some days I have been quiet and tried to listen. Some days, I have hardly said a word. But it's through these walks that I've learned a lot about God and a lot about myself. And yet each day has been a joy. Some of the joy has been on the walk, and some of it has been from looking back on the walk. But it's just one of those things that's hard to explain. It seems simple and insignificant. After all, walking is easy, it comes naturally. But God knows full well that I'm a girl who needs to go on walks. He knows that the best way to get to my heart is to accompany me on a stroll, and so I'm thankful that He's always and up willing to walk with me. I'm thankful that our walks together aren't contingent upon weather and time, but that we can walk and talk whenever. So come on, spring. Come on, daylight savings! I'm ready to get back out there and take a few walks, and I definitely look foward to seeing where our walks will end up taking me this year!

#412 - Because He is up for walking and talking anytime!

"Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found." - Psalm 119:35


Comments

  1. I miss those walks too. I enjoy walking with Ellie, but the conversation is one sided.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts