Reason #391

I decided to go to the doctor after I got off of work today. I am sick of being sick. I spent the whole month of December using the over-the-counter approach, which did not work quickly enough. I figured I might as well go to the doctor and try to nip this junk in the bud before it got too out of hand. I also have zero sick leave accumulated, and constantly blowing your nose and coughing at work does not provide ideal customer service.

I waited at the clinic for a good bit. I've yet to find a PCP, and I'm starting to see why that's an important thing to have. Not that there aren't enough doctors in Lubbock, but I am just not a very sickly person. And so I went to the clinic with hopes that I would get a shot. I am not scared of needles at all, and truthfully, I'd prefer a shot. They work so much faster and so I'll choose a few seconds of being uncomfortable rather than spending weeks on medication that I will forget to take, thus prolonging the illness. The doctor agreed that a shot would be a good way to help jump start my recovery. I watched her fill the syringe and began to prep myself for the stick. Now, the reason I don't mind shots is because I always get them in the "hip." This just happens to be the most padded area on my body so it never hurts. Usually, I never even feel it. And so I stood up, unzipped my pencil skirt just a bit, pulled my tights down and turned my head. For those of you who know me, you know I have the weakest stomach in the world. There's a reason I am in the financial realm. I can't handle blood and guts or the thought of them. I don't like hearing about illnesses, surgeries, or even general pains. It doesn't take much for me to get lightheaded and nauseous. I suppose the good thing about this is that I know the signs quickly. Anyhow, as I stood there awaiting my shot, I felt a horrible pain in my lower back. Somehow, that needle didn't get anywhere near my hip. And as she slowly pushed the medicine through the needle, I tried to tell myself I would be just fine. It didn't take but a few seconds before I knew this was going to be one of those times.

My ears began ringing, so I quickly crawled back onto the table and told her that sometimes shots make me dizzy (not true). I hate this! I hate that I can't handle ordinary little medical things. And let me tell you, it's really hard to find a comfortable position in a pencil skirt and high heels. There was no way in the world I was going to be able to stand up and succesfully walk myself out to the car without causing a scene. I bent over as much as I could, completely embarrassed, and she quickly got me a wet paper towel to put on the back of my neck. Trying to take my mind off of the fact that I was barely hanging on, she began to tell me that she worked in labor and delivery for many years. NO!!!!! I really can't handle those stories. Thankfully, she didn't get much past the part of telling me about inserting IV's before she realized that I was only going to get worse. After a few awkward mintues, I composed myself long enough to walk out the door and fall into the chair in the waiting area. A few more minutes later and I made it to the car. I was, for once, glad it was cold and windy outside.

This was not how I wanted to spend my Thursday evening. That was not how I wanted to spend $60, either. And so it's time like these that I get a little irritated because I didn't plan on this. I felt completely inconvenienced by my body and really frustrated that my plans were ruined. I had things to do, places to be, and yet I sat in a waiting area for well over an hour only to get stuck in the back and almost pass out. But I tell myself that tomorrow I'll feel like the old me again, and I hope it's true. I look at this situation and I try to find the positive in it. What can I be thankful for on a day like this? Well, I'm thankful that my insurance kicked in on February 1. Most places make new employees wait 90 days, but I was lucky to only wait 30 days. I'm thankful for medicine and the fact that I can get medical attention when I need it. I'm thankful for kind doctors who give you wet rags when you almost pass out. And, I'm thankful that God takes care of me. I'm thankful that He knows what lies ahead and makes provisions even in the small things, such as short waiting periods for health insurance. And so we'll see what tomorrow looks like. Hopefully the nose spray/kenalog shot combination will make a big difference and I'll be feeling like a new person soon. Until then, it's sweat pants and the couch, and I'm really looking forward to that!

#391 - For His provisions in the small things.

 "And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others." - 2 Corinthians 9:8

Comments

Popular Posts