Reason #397

I had a nostalgic day today. I walked into work this morning and a memory came flooding back. I don't really know what triggered it. I don't know if it was the sunshine or the flower bed I walked by, but a memory came back from last year. It was the first day I noticed the flowers at work, after finally getting through the winter, and I remember feeling very full of hope that day.

I loved my old job. I mean I LOVED it! It was my dream job. Exactly what I wanted to do, and there wasn't a day that I wished I was doing something different. I looked forward to going in each morning, and I never dreaded work. And if that wasn't enough in itself, I LOVED my co-workers. Every single last one of them. In fact, there wasn't a person I worked with that I didn't like. And it just so happened that I worked for a company who valued its employees like none other. So I had it made. I miss it. I miss them. I miss what was that is no more. I suppose that's the hard part, too.

Today was an interesting day where I found myself in a strange state of melancholy. I have a job that I enjoy. I work with really nice people, and I work for a good company. And although that seems very comparable, it's different. So a rare instance occured today and I was able to talk with some of my old co-workers. I picked up the phone to call her and I found myself incredibly excited to talk to her. In fact, I talked with a couple of old co-workers today and my heart ached a little. I didn't realize how much I missed them. I've never experienced this before, either. With most jobs, when I left, I left. I didn't have any ties and I was glad to be out of there. This was a different situation.

And so I spent time trying to decipher my feelings. Why did I feel this way? Why did I have a heavy heart? Here's what I figured out. This place had become my refuge from the storm. Because when I was at work, I was at work. I did quite an impecible job of keeping my work life and personal life seperate. In fact, I did such a good job that no one knew any different unless I told them. But those that knew supported me in such incredible ways. At work, I was Brittnye. That's all they knew me as. And so we would talk and laugh and share funny stories, and those 8 hours of the day were such a relief. We ate 2 meals together every day, and in my opinion, if you want to grow close to someone, share a meal with them. We really were a family. And so I miss that. I miss what I had, and I hate the fact that it will never be again.

They made comments today. "We miss you. We're sad you're gone. We hope you're doing well." And I felt the same way, too. Sad to be away from them, from people who played such significant roles in my life, from a place that was a safe haven, and from the place where I had planted myself with hopes of growing deep roots. But that's just life sometimes. My friend Lisa says, "Bloom where you are planted." And that's what I did. Dug in my roots and bloomed where I was for the time being. But I've been uprooted and planted elsewhere, and so I'm doing my best to bloom there, too. After all, flowers bloom over and over again. It's never just a one time event (unless they are in my garden, but that's a different story).

And so I thank the Lord for the time I had there. For the people I got to know and the relationships I built. He knew I needed to be there, and so He planted me there for that season. It was a good place, and much growth happened. It will always hold a sweet spot in my heart. A good memory I'll keep with me, and a time will always cherish. And sometimes, in life, you just have to be thankful for what was. Some things last forever while other things don't. It didn't last as long as I had hoped, but it was good while it lasted, and I'm thankful for that.

#397 - For the growing time I had at the sweet place He had planted me.

"Plant your seed in the morning and keep busy all afternoon, for you don’t know if profit will come from one activity or another—or maybe both." - Ecclesiastes 7:6

Comments

Popular Posts