Reason #406

I had the day off on Monday,  but today made up for it. I anticipated Tuesday to be a busy day. I was wrong. Today was a busy day. Busy, busy, busy. I stayed at work an extra half hour after we closed trying to tie up some loose ends. It didn't even feel like a Friday, but thank goodness it is!

My weekends are full. Every single weekend for the next 6 weeks is full and I have a feeling that will be stretched to the next 10 weekends before much longer. Busy season has arrived, and I don't mean that for tax purposes, either. Because I am a planner, I can tell you what each weekend will look like from now until May. When I begin to think of it that way, I get a little overwhelmed. More than that, I get tired just thinking about it. I'm trying really hard to take it one day at a time, one weekend at a time. Not to look at them as a whole but to focus on what needs to be done each weekend and then get it done. I'm trying to take things as they come, which has never been an easy task for me.

When I get busy, everything gets busy. I become guilty of shoving things to the back burner and neglecting what's important. I justify why I do this or why I don't do that and before long, I've totally forgotten what I even put on the back burner. I've got so many things stacked up too high, and I look at the pile wondering how it got like that. And isn't that life? We neglect things, forget about things, and before long we turn around and we think, "Woah, what happened here? How did I get here? How did this happen?" A wake up call. A health scare, a devastation, a financial bind, a broken relationship, all because we left it on the back burner and we forgot. We forgot because we're tired, we're busy, and we've got so much to remember. We forgot because we placed it out of sight, therefore, out of mind. We forgot because we lost track of our priorities, and when that happens, things go down hill quickly.

But I don't want to forget. I don't want to shove Him to the back burner. I don't want to mix up my priorities and find myself, one day down the road, thinking, "Where did I go wrong? How could I have let this happen? When did it become like this?" And so maybe planning is the key to it all. Making Him a priority, a point to remember, and keeping Him at the forefront. Doing away with those things that take up our time so that there is room for Him. Room at the front and not at the back. The first thing on the list rather than the last. Maybe taking life as it comes, after we come to Him first, is the way to do it.

Tomorrow, I have a lot to do, but tomorrow, I get to sleep in. That's right, tomorrow I do not have to get up early, and in fact, I've even planned on this. I get the luxury of waking up well after the sun. I've been looking forward to this. I've been anticipating a Saturday where I could sleep in. Truthfully, I can't even remember the last time I slept late, so tomorrow is the day! And I find it interesting that the one thing I'm anxious to do more than anything is sleep. The one thing I'm really looking forward to is simply resting. Because I don't do it enough. It gets shoved to the back burner and it needs to be pulled back to the front. And He does, too. Always at the front. The first thing I go to every time. It needs to be Him. And I think that's a pretty good plan, don't you? Plan and get my priorities straight. And the truth is, when He is your first priority, everything else really does just fall into place. And so I'll make time. Time to rest in Him. Time to dwell in His presence. To seek Him as a priority rather than as a last resort. Time to not be busy and to reorganize and plan so that busy season is not lost but rather is a productive season. Because wake up calls are no fun. Resting, however, is. And so when we rest in Him first and foremost, when we do it often and not just occasionally, we will be surprised at how our busy schedules seem to work out and time is not an issue anymore.

#406 - For days to get some extra rest and a Savior who will be our resting place.

"It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones." - Psalm 127:2

Comments

Popular Posts