Reason #409

I'm all about dates and timelines. I remember way too much information, sometimes, especially when it comes to dates. I can tell you where I was on a certain day and usually even remember the outfit I was wearing. My days are starting to blur a little more as I've got a lot on my plate right now, but I still like to reminsce often.

Two years ago today, I got Scout! I blogged about it last year, so I'm not going to go in to details about it again, but I can't believe it has been two whole years. For two years, I have had this sweet, little, furry creature following me around, keeping my lap warm, sharing my bed and keeping me company. I can't imagine my life without her, and truthfully, I am crossing my fingers that she'll stick around long enough for my future child(ren) to grow up with. She's one spunky gal, but she's as sweet as they come, and I don't forsee this expectation being an issue. Now, I'll preface this to say it might sound a bit sappy, but at the risk of sounding like "one of those people" (which I am), I'm going to say it anyway. I have those moments, quite often, where I just like to snuggle Scout. Seriously, I look forward to it. I want her to sit in my lap and rest. I want to stroke her little tiny head and call her sweet things like Sugarbear (although I try not to do this in front of non-family members as not to embarrass her). Anyhow, I like spending time with her. I was hoping that today the bank would take a snow day, like all of the schools, so that I could stay home. I definitely had a lot that I needed to get accomplished, so I could have used the extra time. However, I also wanted to just stay in bed and snuggle Scout. I really hate having to leave her home by herself everyday, and so I look forward to those days where we get to spend a little extra time together.

We had time this evening. I had a lot to get done, but I was able to do this in a way as to keep my lap free for Scout. As predicted, she crawled into my lap and her little eyes shut. I could hear her tiny breath coming in and out of her little wet nose. It was quiet in my house. Just me, Scout, and my Ruth bible study. We sat in the chair in my living room and for two hours, I spent time in the book of Ruth. She didn't move, and she only woke up momentarily when I would reach over and scratch her head. It was so peaceful. One of those moments where you'd just like to stay, you know. Two of my loves, Scout and the Lord, right there with me. And I could have set there all night. To be honest, I wished for more time in my day every single day so that I could spend it this way. But the fact of the matter is, these moments are far a few in between for me, and so they are really precious moments. Time where I can just sit and rest with Him, too. Where I can quietly spend my time in His presence. It's so refreshing and relaxing, and as I do it, I can just feel the worries melt away. Any stress, anxiety, frustration, it slowly moves away as peace is ushered in and I realize that this is it. This is the very place I want to be. The place where I feel safest, dearly loved, peaceful, whole, and wanted.

And not to compare myself with the Lord, but I think Scout understands that. She makes a point to curl up in my lap every day and just be. We don't have to do anything, talk about anything, we just are. And I, for one, love it, and I know she does, too. If she didn't, why would she desperately make failed attempts to jump in the chair over and over and over until I finally pick her up? You see, she gets it. It's about taking time to be with the one you love. To enjoy their presence. To come there and find rest and relaxation, protection and love. You don't have to come with anything but an open heart. A heart that says, "Hey, I'm really tired. I don't have anything to offer you. I'm broken and weak. I know I've not done everything right today, and I'll admit that I messed up again. But I want to be with you. I need to be with you. I desire rest for my weary soul. I want your peace to fill me. I want to know your love. I need your forgiveness and acceptance. You make me feel whole, wanted, valued, and I just want some time alone with you."

Do you think He would turn that down? Just like I don't turn Scout down, He won't do that to us, either. Because, even if we find it hard to believe about ourselves sometimes, He wants that, too. He wants to give us rest, peace, security, forgiveness, love and acceptance. He desires to complete us and fill those voids. As much as we want to spend time with Him, you better believe He wants to spend time with us even more. And so I'm really grateful for tonight. For the opportunity to have two hours of quite down-time to spend with Him. Two hours to come to the well thirsty and leave filled. Two hours to bask in His presence and be reminded of His goodness. It was really sweet time, and this weary soul needed it. "Taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." (Psalm 34:8) And I'm thankful that I could take refuge and taste of His goodness, once again, tonight. It was such a blessing!

#409 - For opportunities to spend time with Him and receive rest for my weary soul.

"Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord; He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him." - Psalm 91:1-2

Comments

Popular Posts