Reason #454

My alarm went off in the nick of time this morning. Right in the middle of a nightmare, I was about to do the most terrifying yet brave thing I've ever done. My eyes popped open and I was incredibly thankful that it was only a dream.

My cousin, Lauren, and I were sitting on the beach talking. I turned around to look behind us and found myself staring at a pile of snakes. Ten black snakes were poking out of the sand and within reach. Neither Lauren nor myself are known for our bravery. In fact, we're both guilty of trapping bugs under cups for someone else to kill. I'm pretty sure were this situation to happen in real life, we'd both die of a heart attack. Anyway, back to the dream, we started running down the beach as these snakes followed us. Obviously in impeccable shape, we were able to outrun all but two. We came to the edge of the beach, and the next thing I knew we were in my bedroom. I looked down to see Scout stuck in a pillowcase with these two snakes. The pillowcase tossed and turned, and all I could think about was how I could get her out of there. I stuck my hand into the pillow case and pulled her out. Her little body was lifeless, and I could see bite marks on her neck. I threw her to Lauren and said, "Hurry and get her to the vet before it's too late." I realized that I was going to have to kill these snakes, so I grabbed the first thing I could find and as I lifted my hands up to strike the snakes... BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.

My heart was pounding. I threw back the covers to find Scout snuggled safely against my legs. I pulled her up to my chest and hugged her for a few minutes as the realization set in that it was only a dream. But truthfully, were that situation to ever play out in real life, I'd do it. I wouldn't think twice about sticking my hand into a pillowcase of snakes to rescue Scout because I love her that much. Scout is too sweet, small, and helpless to win a fight like that, so you better believe I'd run to her aid in a heartbeat no matter what pain I might have to endure.

Nightmares are the worst, but wouldn't that be life if Jesus hadn't done what He did for us? Because that was us. Running from sin that relentlessly chased us. Trying, with all of our might to escape, yet one fatal bite and we were done. Doomed for the inevitable, doomed for death. And how scary to live life like that. To always be afraid. To always be follwed by fear and destruction with no hope of rescue. But He saw our fight with sin, our impending death, and He intervened. He knew that we were too small and helpless to save ourselves, so He stepped in to save us. And it meant pain. Nails through His hands and feet. On a wooden cross He rescued us from death and sin. In a heartbeat, with His heartbeat, He came to our aid. And He didn't think twice about it because that's how much He loves us. No matter what He had to endure, no matter how terrifying it was, He did whatever it took save our lives.

#454 - Because He will do whatever it takes to save us!

"Hear me, Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Guard my life, for I am faithful to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God; have mercy on me, Lord, for I call to you all day long. Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you. You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you. Hear my prayer, Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. When I am in distress, I call to you, because you answer me." - Psalm 86:1-7

Comments

Popular Posts