Reason #463

I used to have a morning routine when I got to work each day. I had my own office, which I really enjoyed, so I could have a little time to myself. I'm not really a morning person, per se, and so it takes me some time to wake up. I move a little slower in the morning, think a little slower in the morning, and it just takes me a while to get warmed up and going for the day. And so, every morning, I would fix myself a warm chai latte and take a minute to read the news as I drank it. It was delightful. Truthfully, it was soothing and I think that's why I liked it so much. In fact, I pretty much became a chai latte addict for a while, as each cup was like a small dose of therapy.

I had to work this morning. I'll be honest and say I do not like working on Saturdays. I hit the snooze button a few too many times, no surprise there, and so I had to rush to get to work on time. I walked in about 5 minutes before we opened, and I felt frazzled. Completely tired and wishing I was home in bed. Fortunately, for me, I happened to be working at the branch equipped with its own coffee shop. I had a few minutes to spare so I hurried over and ordered myself a chai latte and a muffin. I went back to the desk, and I just happened to be close to a TV. The police officer, who was the stand in security officer for the day, had the news on. I leaned back in my chair, ate my muffin and sipped my chai latte. This may not sound like that big of deal, but it was. It was one of those little moments where I was able to experience a few of my favorite things as a total surprise. And don't you just love that? Nothing is better than unexpectedly getting to do something you really enjoy.

I needed that moment this morning, and the Lord sure knew that. It was one of those mornings where I didn't even get to wash my hair... second day in a row... and that's kind of how the week has been. Truthfully, that's how the past many weeks have been. And so I just needed a moment to myself. A moment to sit and be. A moment where I didn't have to think, I didn't have to do anything, I didn't have to be productive, I didn't have to say anything, answer a question or make a plan. I could just enjoy it. And it really is amazing what a few moments of doing something you really enjoy can do for you. It wasn't anything big, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary either. A girl drinking her coffee watching the news. This kind of stuff happens every day around the world. But for me, it's a time that is far and few between now a days, and it was so refreshing to experience it this morning. And the remarkable thing in it all is that I was able to enjoy this time without interruption as no customers showed up until I finished my drink.

The Lord is so gracious to do little things like this for me each day. Truthfully, I sometimes stop and recap my day or how things are going, and I am just totally blown away by the amount of little blessings He continuously pours out on me. And they always come at just the right time, too. Because it's not everyday, now, that I get to drink a chai and watch the news, yet on the morning I really needed it, He provided it for me. He knows. Even when I don't know, He knows. And I'm grateful for that. Grateful to serve a God who knows what I need, no matter how big or small, on the days where I don't even know what I need and every day in between. Moments like that remind me of His goodness. I am reminded of His affection for me, and I am grateful that He takes time everyday to bless me no matter what's going on... clean hair, dirty hair, busy, or tired, He is always paying attention and is never too busy to make sure that I know how much He cares for me.

#463 - For quiet moments to watch the news and drink a chai latte.

"Yes, the Lord pours down his blessings." - Psalm 85:12

Comments

Popular Posts