Reason #467

I'm learning a lot about myself right now. Truthfully, learning lessons about one's self isn't always easy. I suppose I've known these things for a while now, but I'm just actually have to confront them now. Anyhow, as I have many times over the past year and a half, I've learned a thing or two from Scout. I'm amazed at how a silent, 4 pound creature can teach me so much, but I'm a firm believer that if we keep open minds, we can pretty much learn from any and everything.

I struggle with stress. And the thing is, I don't even know I'm stressed. My shoulders are constantly tense and my mind is racing. There is never a moment when I am not thinking about what I need to do. I can tell you what every day will look like for the next month. I always write things down in my calendar, but I really don't even look at my calendar to remember. Truthfully, it's really hard for me to forget things. Second problem. Anyhow, I've been on edge the past few weeks. It's a combination of things, but mostly it's because I do not know how to relax. Simply put, I don't know how to rest. And it seems like the odds are against me. Even when I try to rest, when I make an attempt to relax, it just doesn't work out. And so I constantly find myself in a state of anxiety, sometimes stronger than others, and I get myself worked up over the smallest things.

After another sleepless night, I couldn't wait to get off of work and get home. My motivation was lacking and I decided that dinner would be cooked by Chick-fil-A. I ran my errands and pulled into the Chick-fil-A drive thru line. Now, I have no complaints about Chick-fil-A as they are quick and very friendly, but the two lane drive-thru option makes me anxious. Which line do I choose? Are they really moving at the same pace or is one moving faster? Of course, in the end, it never really matters because I always pick the slowest lane. I watched two cars that pulled up after me order before me, and I started to stare at the clock. I caught myself being anxious, and I looked down. Scout had her little head rested on the window sill, and she was enjoying the sun. She didn't care how long we were in line. In fact, she wasn't even thinking about what needed to be done for the night. She was just enjoying the sun and a free moment. After all, what else was there to do right then? So, I decided to be like Scout for once and just enjoy the few moments waiting rather than stressing about it.

This is one trait I wish I had. I really do wish that I could be like Scout sometimes. Not think, not stress, not constantly be concerned about the next 5 minutes. Relax and enjoy the moment. Wait in the drive-thru without counting the minutes. Spend time outside enjoying the sun just because. And when things come up, worry about them then. Take a nap when I need it, actually rest when I have the opportunity, and make time to take care of myself.

And so the Lord is teaching me this in various ways. This is a really difficult lesson for me as it is the polar opposite of my type-A ways, but I'm really trying. Trying to just let things go, to worry about the moment I'm in rather than what may or may not happpen in the next 5 minutes, and to take opportunities for rest when they arise. This isn't my first blog post about such topics, and obviously I am not quick at learning this one. I'm trying, and I'm just thankful that the Lord is helping me. That He is patient to continue to teach me rather than giving up on me. That He cares enough about me to make sure I'm taken care of all the way around. And I'm grateful for my sweet Scout who is a good example and reminder of what rest and relaxation can do for you!

#467 - For moments to rest rather than moments to stress.

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” - Matthew 11:28-30


Comments

Popular Posts