Reason #459

Some times I see things or hear things and my mind goes back to a memory. I drove home from work and as I passed McAlister's, I noticed that the umbrellas were up at the outdoor tables. My mind went back to August and then to Sunday, and I couldn't help but be filled with joy.

McAlister's and I go way back. In fact, when McAlister's first opened in Lubbock, Lauren and I ate there every Sunday after church. It became our go-to place because we never got tired of it. And even though we ate the same thing each week, it was just as good as the week before. This became one of our usual places, and we have frequented McAlister's for many dinner and lunch dates since 2005.

In the fall of 2011, we met for lunch after church one Sunday. I barely ate any of my sandwhich as my appetite was completely gone. It was warm and so we sat outside at the table with an umbrella. I rememeber pouring my heart out, pretty much telling her the same things I told her again and again that fall. Not that any of my chatter was really going to make a difference, but it just felt good to get it off my chest. I boxed up the rest of my lunch and took it home. I don't know if I ever actually ate it or not. Food didn't really matter to me then.

Almost a full year later, I met Lauren for a dinner date on a Sunday night at McAlister's. We sat outside because it was a beautiful day. I had just spent the afternoon with this guy I had meet a couple of weeks before, and I told her about him. Of course, knowing all that she knew, she protectively listened as I rambled on and on about him. I had no idea what was happening. I wasn't completely sure he liked me enough to actually keep me around, but at the same time, there was something about him. Something that kept me interested. Something that made me want more. And I was pretty scared and confused about what the next steps were, so I told her I was just going to let him decide. Lauren gave me her words of wisdom (and by that I mean she told me what she knew about him at that point in time), and I figured the best thing to do was just play it cool. No need to get too excited about something that might not even happen. Plus, if it didn't go anywhere, no loss was incurred. Well, by the end of the meal, an interesting turn of events came about and it was clear what he had decided.

And so Sunday night, Aaron and I went to eat dinner at McAlister's. We sat outside because it was, you guessed it, beautiful. I cleaned my salad bowl as we talked and we chatted about wedding stuff and about our future together. A few weeks out from becoming Mr. & Mrs., and I caught myself thinking about how Sunday's at McAlister's seem to be the best. Good food, good company, good conversation, good weather. That's a combination that can't be beat. And how interesting each one has been. How unexpected, too. Because in 2011, I would have never guessed this was coming my way. In fact, I wouldn't have guessed it in 2012, either. But I look at the life I have right now, and I will say with every ounce of confidence I have that I wouldn't trade it for the world. I wouldn't give it up for a million-bazillion dollars. And I can't praise the Lord enough for giving me this life. For being so good to me. For meeting my heart's desires more than I could have imagined. And I praise Him for every single lunch/dinner dates at McAlister's!

#459 - For the life He has given me.

"You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!" - Psalm 30:11-12

Comments

Popular Posts