Reason #50

"This is the day that the Lord has made, [I] will rejoice and be glad in it." - Psalm 118:24

Today was a good day. Actually, today was pretty close to my idea of a perfect day. I spent the morning with my Saturday Sisters studying God's word and being reminded of how good He is, I got my hair done, had a coupon for FREE lunch from one of my favorite restaurants, spent the afternoon participating in some retail therapy with my mom, enjoyed sunny, spring-like weather, had dinner with two of my most favorite people on the face of the earth, snuggled Scout, and checked everything off of my to-do list. For the first time in a very long time, I began to feel like my old self again... for a whole day! An easy day to rejoice and be glad!


As I sat in the drive-thru waiting to order my lunch today, I rolled the window down so Scout could stick her head outside. The drive-thru line was exceptionally long, but as I sat there with the window down, sun and fresh air pouring into my car, I felt at peace. I didn't want the line to move forward. The bible tells us that all of nature boasts of our Creator, and I was so fortunate to experience him in that form today. Had Scout not been with me, I would have kept my windows up, listened to the radio and distracted myself with my phone while impatiently being annoyed by the number of cars in front of me. How thankful I am that he gave me a few minutes to soak up the sunlight along with his peace. As I think over my day, I also realized how much I laughed and smiled today. Psalm 126:1-3 says, "Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.” The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy." The Lord has done great things for me, and he has filled me with joy!

Over the past many months, my good days have paled in comparison to the bad/sad/difficult days. I'm sure as you've read my blog, you've noticed the roller coaster pattern. It's easy to rejoice and be happy when we are having a good day, but what about the other days?

Habakkuk 3:17-18 says,"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior."
Oh, how I wish I could truly live this verse out. As I think about why I have such a hard time rejoicing each day, I'm starting to realize it's because I don't slow down and let myself experience joy. My Savior gives me many things day in and day out to rejoice over, but I brush past them because I let the circumstances of my day overshadow the joy he's giving me. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 clearly states that God's will for me is to "rejoice always." He doesn't say rejoice when you feel like it or rejoice on certain days, no, he clearly says always.

So I pray for more moments like today. I need more "sit in the car and wait in line with the windows rolled down" moments. I pray that my eyes would be opened to how much goodness he pours out on me that my heart would constantly rejoice. I pray that even when I have those days where it seems as if I "can't find a single grape on the vine," I would still remember to rejoice. After all, even if he never did another wonderful thing for me, he has already given me more than enough to rejoice about to last me this lifetime.

#50 - Moments to rejoice!

"For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.” - Zephaniah 3:17

Comments

Popular Posts