Reason #54

Yesterday was a rough day, so I went to bed last night hoping and praying that today would be a good one. I woke up this morning and I felt refreshed… and I was thankful for a night of peaceful sleep. I spent a few minutes snuggling my sweet Scout before getting out of bed… and I was thankful to have a precious creature to love on and be loved by. As I walked out to my car this morning cool, moist, fresh air hit me and the smell of the cool humidity instantly reminded me of the family reunions my family had in Mabank, Texas for many years… and I was thankful for a sweet memory. The sky was cloudy and water droplets covered my car… and I was thankful for a morning of moisture as we’ve been in a drought. As I drove to work, I felt His peace… and I was thankful that he was pouring it over me before we even started our morning commute conversation. As I walked into work, I passed the flower beds and admired the beautiful flowers that have started blooming. The flowers reminded me that spring is a mere 2 weeks away… and I was thankful for the signs of my favorite season.  I walked into work and remembered that in a few short months my job might be dissolved…and I was thankful that, for today, I have a job. As I began putting together my to-do list for today, I was reminded that I have a lot to accomplish by the end of the day… and I was thankful for the reason behind my busy day. I remembered that last night I said, “I hate today,” and I asked him to forgive me for not being grateful for another day of life, a gift from him… and I was thankful that he forgave me, washed my ungratefulness away, and gave me the gift of today.

I waited patiently for the LORD;
   he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
   out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
   and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the LORD
   and put their trust in him.

 Blessed is the one
   who trusts in the LORD,
who does not look to the proud,
   to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, LORD my God,
   are the wonders you have done,
   the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
   were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
   they would be too many to declare.


-Psalm 40:15

I felt like I was stuck in mud yesterday and not only did I want out of it quickly, I wanted to throw some of it around while stuck there. By the end of the day, I felt as if my head was the only part of my body sticking out of the mud puddle. But he heard my cry and he gently began pulling me out of the sink hole. He washed that mud off and He opened my eyes to see his good deeds. I stand in awe of my Heavenly Father because of how he so lovingly deals with me. Yesterday, I deserved a spanking. I grumbled and whined. I complained and threw myself a pity party. Rather than giving me what I deserved He gently reminded me that I have a choice, and even on my bad days I still have plenty to be thankful for. I needed a good day, but more than that, I needed a new perspective. And so I woke up this morning with my feet on the Rock… and I’m thankful he opened my eyes to see his good deeds and new mercies.
#54 – Because he gives me a firm place to stand so I can see the blessings he pours out on me daily.
“I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.” – Psalm 27:13

Comments

Popular Posts