Reason #51

I woke up with a song in my heart this morning, 'Here For You,' by Matt Redman. I want to share the lyrics with you as they play an important role in the rest of today's reason.

Let our praise be Your welcome
Let our songs be a sign
We are here for You, we are here for You

Let Your breath come from heaven
Fill our hearts with Your life
We are here for You, we are here for You

To You our hearts are open
Nothing here is hidden
You are our one desire
You alone are holy
Only You are worthy
God, let Your fire fall down

Let our shout be Your anthem
Your renown fill the skies
We are here for You, we are here for You

Let Your Word move in power
Let what's dead come to life
We are here for You, we are here for You

To You our hearts are open
Nothing here is hidden
You are our one desire
You alone are holy
Only You are worthy
God, let Your fire fall down

We welcome You with praise
We welcome You with praise
Almighty God of love
Be welcomed in this place

Let every heart adore
Let every soul awake
Almighty God of love
Be welcomed in this place

We welcome You with praise
We welcome You with praise
Almighty God of love
Be welcomed in this place


I shared with you last week that Sundays are very difficult days for me. You see, my heartbreaking experienced has had a huge impact on every area of my life, church included. I had a fabulous Sunday School class in which I was very involved. I was so happy right where I was and looked forward to going to church each week. My church is also going through many big changes as am I, and I have had a hart time finding the right place to fit it due to my new circumstances. This has never been an issue for me as church has always been my home away from home. I was born on a Thursday and I'm pretty sure I made it to church that Sunday.

This Sunday I tried something different. I have been pushed out of my comfort zone and wish very much to be back inside of it. Anyhow, as I drove to church this morning, God reminded me of Joshua 1:9, ..."[I] will go with you where ever you go." So we headed into church together. Now, to be transparent with you, I must tell you that I went to church with selfish expectations this morning. I went seeking for myself. Seeking something I desired. Although he had planted a song in my heart as I got ready this morning, the words had yet to make their impact. I went into the sanctuary feeling a little discouraged because my selfish expectations had not been met. He spoke to me powerfully through the Sunday School lesson but my selfishness was still in the way. The music began to play and it was time to worship. As I stood and attempted to sing, tears immediately filled my eyes. I couldn't get a word out, and in was in that moment that the Lord overwhelmed me as the words of the song he had placed in my heart a few short hours ago hit home, "We are here for you." And so for the next 4 songs, the tears flowed and I so wished that I was by myself with him. I wished for space to fall on my face and let my tears fall at his feet. As I stood there with tears streaming down my face, my mind went back to the first Sunday in October. That was day 2 of the storm and I remember sitting at the back of the sanctuary unable to sing because of the tears streaming down my face. In that moment, he quieted me and I remember him saying, "My sweet daughter, I've got you. It's going to be okay." Well, my idea of "okay" did not pan out, but today, with tears streaming down my checks, I felt it again. He quieted my heart and he said, "Remember, my sweet daughter, I've still got you. You're going to be okay." And I believe him. My heart began to break because I realized how much I'm concerned with me. My heart broke because I realized that all morning I had been singing "we are here for you" in my head but actually meaning "I am here for me." How grateful I am that he meets me at the pew and gently reminds me why I am there. How thankful I am that I don't have to hide anything from him but can open my heart completely and he gladly fills its desires. And so tonight my heart sings, "[I] welcome you with praise, [I] welcome you with praise, Almighty God of Love, be welcomed in this place."

#51 - Because I am here to praise him!

"I will sing the LORD’s praise, for he has been good to me." - Psalm 13:6

"You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. LORD my God, I will praise you forever. " - Psalm 30:11-12

"Praise the LORD. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!" - Psalm 147:1

Comments

Popular Posts