Reason #861

Needing a dose of nostalgia and a truthful reminder, I went back to read my old emails today. Remember how I told you that I went through and deleted a lot of old emails last week? Well, I kept a few. I needed them as reminders, and being a lover of words, I couldn't part with them. I needed them as reassurance so that I could look back and tangibly see God's hand. That's why I like to write things down. It's a lot harder to forget stuff when you write about it, and when you keep it forever, you'll never forget about it.

The Lord had the Israelites build little alters along their journey to the Promised Land so that when they got there, when things got good and their minds began to forget, they would be reminded of what all God had done for them passed by the alters. And, not only would it be a reminder to them, it would be a symbol of God's goodness and faithfulness. They could reminisce about it, they could tell others of the stories, and they would never forget. A place where they could offer up gratitude and praise to the Lord. And that's what these emails have become to me.

I read through them and I saw a pattern. The more I served the Lord, the more I shared about His goodness and faithfulness, the better I felt. The more of my brokenness I revealed, the more relief I found. And today, as I spent some time in the solitude and silence of my home, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I've been seeking and searching for purpose. I've been battling insecurity and feeling inadequate and useless, and I realized that during the season of my life where I was giving the most of myself, where I was constantly serving the Lord, where I was pouring out all of my time and energy, was the most incredible, memorable, fruitful season I have ever experienced. And although I was exhausted, although I felt like I was being pulled in a million directions and stretched as thin as I could possibly go, I have never felt more fulfilled and at peace. I have never felt more valued, more worthy, more significant, and more satisfied than during that time. A time that flew by so quickly, a time that was so rich, and a time that I will hold close to my heart always.

But I don't want it to be a one time thing, you know. I don't want to be "done." I want to be stuck in that season. Constantly in that feeling of satisfaction because it's a good place to be. After all, isn't that what God created us to do? Serve Him. Serve Him with everything we have. Serve Him and don't hold back. Share your story. Tell of His goodness. Proclaim His greatness and sing His praises. Let the world see how His strength really is made perfect in your weakness. Living for God is more important than any job we could ever have. No one satisfies like He does, and so it would only make sense that we feel most worthy, most valuable, when we're serving a God of infinite worth and value.

So if you don't know what to do, serve God. If you need your life to change, if you need to feel worthy and useful, satisfied and complete, serve Him. Pour yourself out. Let Him use you, let Him change you, and let Him be glorified through it all. And even if you're in a good spot, even if you're feeling confident and assured and completely content, serve Him anyway. He is worth our time and effort!

#861 - Because the more we serve Him the more He satisfies.

"I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy." - Psalm 63:4-5

Comments

Popular Posts