Reason #873

Day one of the shoe drive was successful. There are three stories from today that stuck with me. Three things that really stood out. And so tonight, I'll share one of them because this is what God taught me today.

We went to the family hope centers knowing our task. We knew that before the shoes and socks were put on little feet, the feet would be cleaned. We knew that we'd have some hand wipes to wipe away the dirt and the grime off of the little feet to prepare them for brand new socks and shoes. And so there was no question in our minds about whether or not we were going to carry out this task. This was what we came to do, and I was more than happy to do it.

Little shoes began to come off. Shoes that were torn and tattered. Shoes that needed to be replaced. I sat down on the floor in front of the little ones, and I motioned for them to take off their old shoes. I figured they'd rip those shoes off with excitement. They didn't. Each child carefully took off their shoes and socks. It was as if it was hard for them to let go of those shoes. To trade them in for the new ones. They still saw value in their old shoes. After all, they've been relying a lot on their old shoes. They're familiar and broken in. And so they would slide their shoes off with care, and I began to notice the reluctance in sticking out their feet for me to wipe them clean. They would bury their little feet under their legs as if they were ashamed of their feet. They wanted those new shoes, but they didn't seem too thrilled to be enduring a foot cleansing process to get them. I almost felt like they were embarrassed of their feet. Maybe they were embarrased for me to touch their feet. And so I'd reach down and tap the top of their little foot to let them know it was okay. This was why I was there. I came to clean their tiny toes. I would take a white cloth in each hand and rub one on the bottom of their foot and one on the top. Sure enough, the cloths were covered in dirt and grime. Sometimes I would wiggle their toes in an effort to say, "Hey, this isn't so bad is it? I'm glad to do this for you." And once their feet had been wiped down, I'd slide on a new pair of socks and shoes, and I could clearly see the joy come over their little faces knowing that these new shoes were theirs for the keeping.

We try to hide it. In shame, we tuck it away hoping He won't have to see it. We're so embarrassed, so humiliated at how dirty we are. We know full well what is going to happen when His pure, spotless love washes over us. We know that dirt is going to come off. We know that there will be grime and muck and it will be noticeable. But that's the purpose. The scarlet blood is wiping it away. Wiping away the sins and the stains to make us clean. To purify us, turning us into a new creation. He's preparing us for the new things He has in store. Opening us up to recieve abundant blessings. He came to robe us in white. To make all things new.

Jesus came to serve. He came to wash us, to cleanse us. This was no surprise to Him. He knew full well His mission. He didn't show up and say, "Excuse me, you want me to do what?" No, Jesus knew exactly what He had come to do. And so we have to allow Him. We have to hand over our spotted, sin-stained selves and let Him do His job. Let Him cleanse us from our unrighteousness. Let Him wash away all that is hindering us, all that us holding us back or holding us down. We have to hold it out, give it to Him, stop relying on the old and the familiar, and trust that He is there to help. He came to wash away the old, replace it with the new, and give to us a joy that is ours for the keeping.

#873 - Because He came to clean soles and cleanse souls.

"God the Father knew you and chose you long ago, and his Spirit has made you holy. As a result, you have obeyed him and have been cleansed by the blood of Jesus Christ." - 1 Peter 1:2

Comments

Popular Posts