Reason #874

The shoes were lined up against the wall, each with a number. They told us to grab a pair of shoes and as they called each child up, they would tell us what number the child was so we could pair up with them to put on their new shoes. My eyes automatically went to the pair with Cinderella on the side. I may be a few weeks out from my 27th birthday, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Disney princesses. We go way back, and obviously, they're a timeless group. Anyway, I picked the tiny little shoes up and waited for my number to be called.

They went down the line, each child eager to recieve their new shoes. My number was called and this tiny, little girl shyly walked towards me. I quickly noticed that she had on a Cinderella shirt, and I could hardly contain my excitement. I sat her down on the edge of the porch, and I pointed to her shirt and then to her shoes. She started to make the connection, although I am sure she was wondering why I was overly excited about her shirt, and I thought to myself, "What are the odds?"

Thousands of shoes have been collected. Shoes from stores all over the United States. And these shoes have been shipped to places all over the world where thousands of children were set to recieve them. Yet these shoes in Guatemala were assigned. Someone saw those little princess shoes and felt compelled to buy them in that exact size. And then someone at Buckner decided to stick those shoes in the collection of shoes at the school where this little girl attends. And someone else decided that amongst all the shoes in her size, she would be assigned these princess shoes before today. And when she woke up this morning, she pulled on her princess shirt completely unaware that before she went home from school today, she'd have the perfect pair of shoes to match her ensemble, specific to her liking and taste.

But this is about more than having shoes that match your shirt. It's more than a coordinating outfit, and it's more than the fact that Cinderella graced the front of both items. It's that God is in the details. God knows our hearts. He knows our desires. He even knows our likes, our dislikes, and what will bring a smile to our face. God knows how to fill us with joy. God knows what will reflect love to us. And today, I saw how God is so intentional. How amazing that He would orchestrate something so specific for this little girl by using someone from half way around the world to meet her needs and wants. Not only was she getting shoes, she was getting the pair she would have wanted had she had the choice to choose her own, new pair of shoes. It is obvious that God loves her, God cares about her, and God fully knows her.

So don't think for a second that God doesn't know or doesn't care. He cares. He cares so much. Much more than we can even fathom. But sometimes we have to look for it in the little, every day things. In the ways that aren't always expected. Maybe it's a kind word from a friend. Maybe it's the right song at the right time, or maybe it's a gift that you didn't expect. Sometimes things happen and you think, "What are the odds?" But I'd venture to say that when God's on your side, the odds are in your favor. Nothing is by accident, He is too intentional.

So I'm thankful for princess shoes that match princess shirts. For obedient hearts. For tiny feet. And I am thankful that God intentionally put it all together because of His great love for us.

#874 - Because of His intentionality and His great love for us.

"For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth." - Psalm 103:11

Comments

Popular Posts