Reason #879

I'm not ready for Monday. I enjoyed having a long weekend and playing catch up, but I'm still not ready for Monday. Mentally, I have yet to get there. 7:00AM always comes too soon, and now that I've had a taste of summer, I want more. Truthfully, it has been quite a while since I've had an actual "summer vacation" where I've taken a week off from work, and I have quickly remembered how nice it was to have those. Oh, to have 2 months of down time. To enjoy the long days, sleep late in the mornings, soak up the sun, and get those always-lingering items marked off the to-do list. But tomorrow I go back to work, and I am working on having a heart of gratitude.

I got my first official job when I was a senior in college. I had worked odd jobs here and there as a teenager but nothing long term. I felt like it would be wise of me to get some real world work experience before graduating, so I decided to apply as a bank teller. When I started college, my parents told me my job was to get done within 4 years and make good grades. As long as I did that, I didn't have to work unless I wanted to. Over the years, they had set aside some money for me in a separate checking account, and I was able to use that for my living expenses. I learned how to live cheaply because I wanted to pursue school and completely involve myself in school activities rather than trade the experience in for a job. I am so glad I did because you never get your college days back. Anyway, when I started as a bank teller, I was making minimum wage. I think it was around $7 an hour, and I thought I was rich. I was raking in the dough, and my measly little bank account was growing! I was so proud to be able to steadily have at least three digits in my bank account, as that was a first for me. I kept track of all my purchases, balanced my checkbook each month, and I really felt like a grown up. I loved what I was doing, and I got paid to do it. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal.

Did you know that in one hour, minimum wage working Americans make more money than some Guatemalans do in one day's worth of work? What if you worked 8 hours a day and made $7.25? It would take me a little over a week's worth of work to put one tank of gas in my car. I would have to work for 2 weeks just to buy a week's worth of groceries. After working for a month, if I saved every penny, I wouldn't be able to pay my bills. I'd never be able to make my house payment. I'd have to live in my car because it's the only thing that is paid off. I'd never be able to go see a movie, hit up Sonic at happy hour, or treat myself to a little something here or there. And tonight, as I sit in bed wishing my vacation was starting again tomorrow, I am reminded that, at any moment, I could be making no money. At any moment, I could not have a job. It's not a given, not a promise, it is a privilege. It is something that should never be taken for granted. And I realize what a blessing it is to have steady work each day. To have a source of income so that bills can be paid. What a blessing to have health insurance, a 401k, and actual paid time off. That's right, even on vacation, I still made money. That's a pretty sweet deal.

Tomorrow is Monday, the toughest day of the week. But I'll wake up tomorrow and I'll go back to work. I'll do whatever is asked of me, whatever is required, and I'll be glad that I have a safe place to go each day. I'll be thankful for clean bathrooms to use, for fresh water to drink, and for air conditioning to keep me cool in this summer heat. We aren't guaranteed anything in life, and I suppose if you think about it, jobs are really a luxury. We can't afford not to have one, and we certainly wouldn't want to be in that spot. So go to work, thank the Lord for giving you the opportunity and ability to do so, and count yourself as blessed.

#879 - For the blessing of steady work.

"It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life." - Ecclesiastes 5:18

Comments

Popular Posts