Reason #876

We made it home. It is amazing how quickly trips come and go. It seems like you spend an eternity waiting for the trip to arrive, and the next thing you know you're back home and it's over and done. But the memories last a lifetime, and we have another good trip to add to the list.

There really is no place like home. There's nothing like being surrounded in familiarity. It's comfortable. I love walking into my house and it just smells like home. And falling into my bed after a few days away is priceless. Home is my little sanctuary. My safe haven. Home is where I desire to be at the end of a long day or a long trip, and I'm always thankful that the Lord gets us here safely.

This week was eye opening. It's interesting to see how other people live outside of America. I saw homes that were not cozy and comfortable. Homes that were barely standing. Homes that were made out of whatever materials could be gathered. They weren't safe. They weren't clean. They weren't anything I have ever known. And I saw people who looked different than I did. They smelled different than me and they dressed different than me. They didn't drive cars, they didn't have nutritious meals each day, they didn't shower once every 24 hours or wear clothes that were clean. They didn't have, to simply put it. I saw a lot of people without, and I was reminded over and over again how much I have.

Yesterday, we spent our morning at school full of children who are without. These little bitties don't have the luxury of America. But they were five, and they didn't know any different. They lined up in their class lines so we could meet the group. There was about 150 of them, and they were precious. All of them were about 3 feet tall, I swear, and they wore little colored vests according to the class they were in. They were so eager to have a bunch of strangers visiting them at school. They greeted us with shouts of "Hola!" and then, in unison, they began to sing a little song together. I had no idea what they were saying, but their hands were folded as if they were praying. I was told the song was a prayer of gratitude, thanking God for all He has done for them. Here we were, standing inside a concrete compound in the middle of the slums, and these little babies were starting out their day thanking God for His goodness and provision.

It's not just about what we have, it's about being thankful for what we have. It's about realizing that the only reason we live where we live, work where we work, and have what we have is because God has allowed it. Yet we find ourselves in a constant state of discontentment and ingratitude because we know what's out there. We know what every one else has. We see it on Facebook or hear about it on TV. We know it exists, and since we don't have it, we want it. We aren't thankful for the house we have because we know there are newer, bigger houses with more to offer. We aren't thankful for the car we drive because we know there are nicer cars with cooler features. We aren't thankful for the job we have because we know there are other jobs that pay more. And we aren't thankful for the place where we live because we know there are other places that are more exciting and beautiful.

But what if you just focused on being grateful for what you do have, for where you do work, and for the town or city in which you live? What if you decided you'd thank God for the car, the home, the clothes, and the food that you have? Because no matter where you live, someone will always have more and someone will always have less. It's never about the quantity. It's about your heart.

So thank the Lord for what He has done rather than spending your time wishing for other things. Don't live in the "what if" or the "if only I had" lies. They rob you of joy, blinding you of the truth. They keep you from realizing God's generosity and goodness. Whether it be a lot, or whether it be a little, we need to give thanks.

#876 -  For the home, car, job, clothes, and things He has given to me.

"Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Comments

Popular Posts