Reason #862

One day closer to the weekend. We are getting there, slowly but surely. I have been a day off all week, and so at the end of the day, I thought to myself, "I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow." But tomorrow is Friday.

They say good things come to those who wait, but isn't it the early bird who gets the worm? This is a constant battle for me. Waiting and not pursuing. Letting things happen on their own versus forcing them to happen my way. I've learned my lesson the hard way, but it doesn't always stop me from wanting to try. And so I find myself praying over and over again, "God, is this you or is this me? Is this your will or is this mine? Are you creating these feelings in order to move me to where you need me to be, or am I creating them because I want to be moved?" And yet the more and more I think about it, the more I try to decipher whose voice is whose, the more I try to figure it out. I kept coming back to these words: "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10)

Be still. Because it is hard to hear Him when we're running a muck. It's hard to know His voice when we're too busy talking, too busy listening, and too busy planning out all of our options. Be still. Stop moving. Stop over thinking it. Stop playing detective. Quit looking for clues. Quit searching high and low for any little sign. Be still. Don't run yourself ragged with worry. Don't spend your time pursuing things that lead to a worthless outcome. Quit chasing rabbits, quit blowing with the wind. Quit trying to beat everyone to it. Be still.

And know. Don't wonder if God has a plan for you, know that He does. Know that it is perfect and good and has been in place long before you existed. And know that God has your best interest at heart. Know that He is fully aware of what you need and when you need it. Know that He really is in control. He hears you. He sees you. Know that. Know that He will meet the desires of you heart when the timing is right. Know that He will get you there. And until then, be still.

Be still and know. Quit running the endless race of disappointment and confusion. Just step right off that track and be still before the Lord. And in the stillness, know that He is good. In the stillness, praise Him for what He has done and for what He is going to do. And let it go. The early bird might get the worm, but the bird who waits will get her worm, too. How do I know that? Because God cares for all the birds of the fields, both the early ones and the ones who wait. And so tomorrow, there will be more worms to get. Worms for the next day, too. Life is more than waiting, it's more than perfect timing. It's about knowing that He is God.

#862 - Because there will be worms for today, tomorrow, and the next day.

"Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?" - Matthew 6:26

Comments

Popular Posts