Reaspn #869

It’s hard being humbled. Being humble isn’t always easy, either. But choosing to be humble is completely different from being humbled. And, unfortunately, the process of humbling can be humiliating. 

I used to think my life was perfect. I tried to keep it that way. I intentionally made good decisions in the effort to never make a mistake. Sure, I still messed up. But, before the age of 24, if you had asked me to tell you my biggest regret or biggest mistake, I would have honestly told you that I didn't have one. I felt like I had done really good. I had been really good. In my mind, I had done all things right, and I figured that since I was able to make it through high school and college without regrets or mistakes, I would be out of the woods.

Sometimes God humbles you. Sometimes God allows you to be humbled. And it happened. Humbling at its finest. All of the sudden, I felt broken. No longer was I proud of who I was. I was ashamed. I was so embarrassed. My perfect story was tainted. My good record was broken. And I thought that is all people would see when they looked at me. Flaws, scars, a life that was now flooded with regret, and I wondered how God could ever do anything with me.

You rescue to humble...- Psalm 18:27
You lead the humble in doing right, teaching them your ways. - Psalm 25:9
You care for the humble...-Psalm 138:6
The Lord supports the humble.... - Psalm 147:6
He crowns the humble with victory... -Psalm 149:4
He is gracious to the humble...-Proverbs 3:34

And I realized that humility was the best place to be. Humility was going to take me further than perfection. In fact, being humbled was the best thing that could ever happen to me. Because humility pleases the Lord. It's what draws us closer to Him. In our humility, we realize how much we need Him. We realize how lost and broken we are without Him. Our perfection quickly becomes imperfection, and He is the only one who can do anything about it.

Humbled because we're loved. Notice God's heart towards humility. Notice God's reaction to those who are humble...or even those who are being humbled. Gracious, supportive, caring. In our humility, because of our humility, we find victory.

So be humble and be okay with being humbled. God opposes the proud. God is honored when we humble ourselves before Him. We can rest in knowing that in quietness and humility, we find our strength. Humbling coming before the Lord never leaves us humiliated. Rather it brings us closer, takes us deeper, and we find that a humble spirit can do wonders for a healing heart.

#869 - Because in our humility, we find God's goodness and love.

"The humble will see their God at work and be glad. Let all who seek God’s help be encouraged." - Psalm 69:32

Comments

Popular Posts