Reason #13

This morning I was reminded of the story of Abraham, Isaac and the ram. As I went throughout my day, I really tried to think about this story and put myself in Abraham's shoes. We don't get very far into Genesis when God asks Abraham to do an unthinkable, and seemingly unreasonable act. Abraham had been promised a son that he and his wife Sarah thought they would never have. In fact, they even came up with their own plan for Abraham to have a son...which didn't really go over well. Proverbs 19:21 tell us that, "You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail." So despite their plans of having a son, the Lord's will prevailed and Isaac was born. Now, I don't know what it's like to have a child yet, but I hear the love for your child is pretty powerful. The closest thing I have to a child is my Scout, and I'd definitely be willing to put myself in harm's way to keep that little critter safe. So we get to Genesis 22 and God says "Abraham, I want you to go sacrifice your son." WHAT?! God knew how much Abraham loved Isaac, so I know he knew how much Abraham didn't want to do this. Why would God ask Abraham to do something so heart wrenching and tragic? I can't imagine the thoughts that went through Abraham's head as he processed this request. I'm sure he thought, "You can't be serious. Why would you ask me to do this to someone I love so much? This makes no sense. Why me? Why should I have to give up the son that we prayed for and waited for? Why does it have to be this way, God?" We see in verse 3 that Abraham got up EARLY the next morning to prepare for the death march. First of all, it's hard to even move when you're having to do something you don't want to do much less get up early and get a jump start on the day. Abraham was completely obedient to God's unthinkable request and didn't delay. I wonder if he even slept that night. I bet he tossed and turned. I bet he was sick to his stomach and  wished that daylight wouldn't come. I wonder if he spent the night on his knees pleading with God for any other way but this.

So Abraham and Isaac set off to the mountain. Not only did Abraham have to walk a distance to do something he dreaded, he had to think about it as they walked for THREE days. He also had to walk with his son knowing what he was going to have to do to him. This was how they were going to have to spend their last moments together?

Well, they finally made it to that dreaded mountain. I bet Abraham had hoped with all his heart that something would happen during those three days to change the course of events. The plan was still the same. He began to prepare his son to be the sacrifice. I wonder if Isaac pleaded with Abraham not to do this. I can just imagine the tears that streamed down Abraham's face as he raised the knife to take his own son's life. I can imagine the fear in Isaac's eyes as he watched someone he trusted do something he would have never imagined. I wonder if they both thought, "God, why are we having to do this? We've been faithful to you. Why us?"

Well, God is a God of perfect timing. We might not understand why he's taking us a certain route, but he always comes through right when we need it. As Abraham's arms were lifted to take his son's life, the Lord stopped him. Abraham looked up to see a ram stuck in a bush. Wow! Can you imagine the joy that consumed Abraham's heart when he saw that ram? I bet his heart leaped and those tears of pain and sorrow turned into tears of joy and praise. God had provided a way out. It was an unexpected way out, but a way out none the less. He brought a different sacrifice. I bet Abraham couldn't untie Issac fast enough.

We flip forward many books to Hebrews 11 and see that Abraham ended up in the "faith hall of fame." He was commended for trusting God even when God was asking him to do the unthinkable. Abraham's faithfulness brought about an abundance of blessings.

I wish I could be more like Abraham. I've made a dreaded walk to a mountain, but I didn't get up early to do it. I've asked God why and begged for any other way around it. I've wondered why he would bring me this way and make me walk for days thinking about it. But as I've stood on this mountain, staring at a gut-wrenching situation, I've looked up with tears in my eyes and seen rams through my blurry vision. Just as God provided Abraham with a ram at the perfect time, he has provided me with many rams just when I felt I couldn't do it. I couldn't do what he was asking me to, and guess what, he provided a way. My rams have come in all shapes and sizes and they may never know, but my heart has rejoiced as each one has shown up in the nick of time.

#13 - Rams.

“...On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided.” - Genesis 22:14

Comments

Popular Posts