Reason #15

The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. 
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.  - Psalm 23

I learned this Pslam at a very early age in life and, unfortunately, have let the familiarity of the words replace their power. Today, I have been thinking about mountains and valleys and Pslam 23 came to mind, specifically verse 4.

I am afraid of the dark. I slept with a nightlight for many years and finally built up enough courage to start sleeping with the light out, however, it took a while to get there. It's amazing how much comfort a small amount of light can bring. I have a vivid imagination, so I have no problems scaring myself at night. When I was in elementary school, I decided that I wanted to rearrange my bedroom. We moved the furniture from one side to the other and for the next 3 nights I didn't sleep. My bed had originally been against the farthest wall in my room, so I had full view of the door and could see into the living room. Also, I had gotten used to all the "nightly shadows" in my room. With my furniture in its new place, the "nightly shadows" took on new shapes and my room was no longer familiar. After a few nights of no sleep, we moved my furniture back to its usual place and I could finally sleep again. I find it quite strange that I was in the same room, with the exact same things but because they were in a different spot, I didn't feel secure.

I have walked through more mountains than valleys in my life. I'm used to being on a mountain and frankly, I prefer it. As I walk up the mountain, the air gets fresher, the weather is better, the sun is brighter and the view is nicer. I can see for miles when I'm on the mountain. Valleys are a different story, however, they don't have to be. Sure, it's darker, the air is stuffy, it's a little colder and surprises wait around the corner, but the only thing that has changed between the mountain and the valley is the scenery. In Psalm 23, God reminds me that He is my shepherd. Just as he faithfully leads me up those mountains, he faithfully leads me through those valleys. In fact, he makes a point to state that he stays close beside to protect and comfort me through the valley. He knows I'm scared to walk through the darkness of the valley after being on a mountain. He knows I'm scared because things have been rearranged and the familiar shadows have shifted shape. I can't see what's lurking around the corner or where the next turn is, but I don't have to be afraid because He is with me. In John 10:14 he says, "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and they know me." My good shepherd knows exactly where he's leading me, and even as I travel through the valley, he still manages to "lead me beside peaceful streams." He gives me strength to walk forward in faith not knowing when the next mountain will come but being certain that I'm headed in the right direction. After all, we wouldn't have mountains if there were no valleys. So although the scenery is different, his "goodness and unfailing love" stays the same through it all.

#15 - Because He stays with me through the valleys.

"You light a lamp for me. The LORD, my God, lights up my darkness."- Psalm 18:28

Comments

  1. When my sister and I were scared as children my parents taught us to repeat, "When I am afraid I will trust in God, Psalm 56:3." To this day, that verse is still comforting to each of us. You may be in unfamiliar territory, but I know that God will use you for his glory. I'm sure this blog is already reaching more hearts than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm going to start saying that to myself when I'm afraid...even when the lights are on (o:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts