Reason #4

Have you ever been forced to do something you didn't want to do? Something that goes against everything you believe? Have you ever had someone make a life changing decision on your behalf without consulting you? I'm not talking about your parents "forcing" you to eat your veggies as a child or determining your curfew as a teenager. I'm talking about a decision that will change the course of your life, whether or not you like it.

Today, I was forced to do something I didn't want to do. No matter how hard I fought or how pure and sincere my efforts were, I had to do something totally against my will. This is not something I deal with on a regular basis. In fact, I really can't remember the last time a decision was made on my behalf without my consent. I went to bed last night dreading today. At 3:00PM today, I would have to leave my office to do something that goes against everything I believe. As I watched the clock, dreading the time, I asked the Lord to go with me. I realize how "needy" I must sound, as if I'm bossing the Lord around. The truth is, no matter how "needy" I get, He's there to supply ALL my needs according to His glorious riches (Philippians 4:19). So during my moment of needy-ness, the Lord poured out some of His glorious riches...at the perfect time!

As I started up the stairs at 2:50, my cell phone rang. I normally do not get phone calls during the work day (however, the Dish Network people are proving me wrong right now...). I didn't have the number saved in my phone but I recognized the area code. When I answered, I heard a familiar voice. My uncle, whom I don't think I've ever talked to on the phone, was calling to ask me a quick question on behalf of my aunt. He asked how I was doing so I shared with him that I was headed out on a dreaded errand. My uncle is one of the few people in my family who has been in my shoes. I would have never fathomed that we'd have this in common. In fact, we decided that we would start a club but hoped that we were the only 2 to ever join it. One of the best things about my uncle is that he can bring laughter to any situation....seriously, ANY situation. As I walked out to my car, my uncle spoke such wonderful words of encouragement to me and brought a smile to my face. God knew I needed that phone call as I drove a few blocks away from the office...against my will. He knew I needed someone to accompany me and speak words of truth to me. My uncle is a living testimony of God's faithfulness. Many people are so sweet to speak words of encouragement, but doesn't it make such a difference to hear from someone who has walked the same road and emerged victorious? I hope my uncle will understand how God was able to use him to minister to me at the right time in a way no one else could have, and I hope that God will do the same with me. Isn't it neat how He works for the good?

So, my dreaded errand last 15 whole painful minutes and I headed back to work. I realized as I was driving back to work how the Lord had answered my prayer to accompany me. I was reminded of the Israelites who had wandered in the wilderness, much to their dismay, for 40 years and finally reached the Promised Land. They didn't know what the Promised Land was going to entail, they just knew it was a good place and it was where God wanted them. Before Joshua lead them in, the Lord commanded him to be strong and courageous, after all, He was going in with them!

So I don't know what the Promised Land looks like, but I know it's a good place. I don't know what  lies behind those walls, but God showed in an unexpected, awesome way today that He really is going with me where ever I go.

#4  - Because I'm never alone.

Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”- Deuteronomy 31:8






Comments

Popular Posts