Reason #9

A few days ago, I wrote about how much I love spring. Today, West Texas has seen another sign of spring, however, not one of the better signs. We are having one of our infamous dirt storms today. In fact, Lubbock is under a dust storm warning with wind speeds around 35MPH and gusts near 50MPH. I'm almost nervous to let my Scout out in this weather. Thankfully, she's low enough to the ground that she has yet to blow away.

As I sit inside, snuggled on the couch, listening to mother nature attempt to "huff and puff and blow the house down," I'm thanking the Lord for shelter. I drove home from church and felt terrible for the newspaper sales-people who were standing on the street corners getting sandblasted. Like most people, I take for granted the blessings of having a home, a car, and a place to work. I take for granted the fact that I not only have 4 walls protecting me all day, I also have heating and air conditioning to keep me comfortable. If, for some reason, I didn't have a car or home, I have plenty of people in my life who would be more than willing to take me in or let me borrow theirs. What a blessing that is, too. I think about how much security I constantly have around me, and I realize how easy it is for me to start feeling invincible. I begin to put my trust in worldly things. I have a car that will safely transport me where ever I need to go. I have a sturdy home made of brick that will last for years. After all, isn't that what the pigs used to finally show that wolf up? I work in an office space full of cameras, security equipment and security guards, so nothing bad can happen there, right? Growing up, I knew I was always safe because I have a dad who is a police officer, a modern day hero, so no harm could get near me. I realize how often I seek safety in people and in material things. Even though these are all good things with great intentions, they aren't guaranteed. People have wrecks, houses burn down, jobs are cut, and humans fail. What's a girl to do? According to Psalm 91:1, if I "live in the shelter of the Most High, I will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty." The best thing about seeking shelter in the Most High is that it's not only free, it's secure and absolutely guaranteed. If you read down to verse 4, He says "He will cover [me] with his feathers. He will shelter [me] with his wings. His faithful promises are [my] armor and protection." So even though fires might come, winds will blow, and wrecks may occur, His promises are my protection. He never fails! I'm thankful for the blessings of shelter and security, but I'm most thankful be sheltered and protected by a God who is never shaken.

Reason #9 - Shelter. A comfy home to keep me safe and a mighty God who covers me with His wings.

"But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign LORD my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do." - Psalm 73:28

Comments

Popular Posts