Reason #17

I had coffee with a friend tonight, which just so happens to be one of my favorite activities. There is nothing I love more than having a good conversation accompanied by a warm cup of chai. I am a girl who loves a bargain, but I never think twice about dropping $4.00 for a chai latte. I suppose I consider this one of my "therapeutic" activities. In fact, I even bought myself chai mix to keep at work so that I can start my morning off with a warm and delicious cup. (Maybe I have a small addiction to this stuff.) I used to get coffee multiple times a week when I was in college, but that died down quickly after I graduated. I always look forward to having coffee with friends because many of my best conversations have happened in a coffee shop.

I love to talk, so naturally, I have said A LOT of words in my lifetime. According to my parents, I was forming complete sentences at the bright, young age of 1 and have yet to stop. The tricky thing about words is that once they're out, you can't take them back. We all go through life saying things we shouldn't say, trying to say the things we should say, saying things we wished we would have never said, and sometimes not saying the things we wish we could say or the things we know we need to say. I've been blessed to have a lot of great conversations over the past few months. Aside from songs, one of the other ways God speaks to me is through my friends and family. I have been praying and asking God to show me truth in every aspect of my life, and he has used many people to speak truth to me. Proverbs 10 has a lot to say about words.

The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain (vs 11)
Wise words come from the lips of people with understanding (vs 13)
The words of the godly are like sterling silver (vs 20)
The words of the godly encourage many (vs 21)
The mouth of the godly person gives wise advice (vs 31)
The lips of the godly speak helpful words (vs 32)


As children, we say "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." I don't know about you, but I would prefer to have a stick thrown at me rather than having a harsh word spoken to me. Sometimes, we need to hear truth and it can hurt, but sometimes we speak what we feel is truth rather than what really is and we do more damage that way. I have been blessed by many understanding people who have given me wise advice and helpful and encouraging words. In fact, if "the words of the godly are like sterling silver", I could gives James Avery a run for their money with all the godly words that have been shared with me.  I hope that I can be a wise person when I speak. I hope that my words can be encouraging, helpful and life-giving. Mostly, I hope that when I open my mouth to speak, the words that are heard are not those of my own, because I desire that "the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

#17 - Good conversations.

"Kind words are like honey— sweet to the soul and healthy for the body." - Proverbs 16:24

Comments

Popular Posts