Reason #7

"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." As I sit here typing these words, it's 1:00AM. I know I'll wake up around 9:00AM to let Scout out, so that gives me between 7 and 8 hours of sleep, which is the "recommended" amount. Each night before I go to sleep, I make sure to let myself know whether or not I'll be getting the "recommended" amount of sleep so I can feel like I'm doing something good for myself. Unfortunately, the saying above is not my motto. During the weekdays my version would say "late to bed, early to rise, makes a girl sleepy, late and somewhat wise." During the weekends my version would say, "late to bed, late to rise, makes a girl... happy!" I love the weekends because I finally get to add some time to my sleep deficit.

I am not a morning person at all. I hit snooze for at least 30 minutes and then get ready as fast as possible so that I can get to work on time-ish. I don't have time in the mornings to do anything other than get ready, so I'm thankful to work for an employer who spoils their employees with breakfast each morning. I always have good intentions of going to bed early so that maybe, just maybe, I'll get up on the first alarm ring and have a productive morning. When I entered the working world, I expected myself to eventually adjust to getting up early. I figured I'd be one of those people who got up early, had their morning cup of coffee (or in my case chai), read the news, made the bed and maybe threw in a load of laundry before heading off to work (with plenty of time to spare). Well friends, I have yet to morph into one of those early birds, and I bet I never do. In fact, my sleeping-in habits have even rubbed off on my energetic, little Scout!

This has been an exhausting season for me. This week has been especially exhausting, physically and emotionally. Isn't it funny how we get so  tired that it seems near impossible to catch up on our rest? After a while, we are so tired we're not even tired anymore. Then, we start getting some rest and we just feel... tired. As I look forward to a full 8+ hours of sleep tonight, I also look to the Lord for emotional and spiritual rest. Psalm 16:7 says, "I will bless the Lord who guides me, even at night my heart instructs me." Even while we sleep, the Lord works and moves in our hearts. I forget that and I often times think, "Oh, if I could just sleep, I'll feel better when I wake up. I'm probably just really tired." Well, my body is tired but so is my spirit. I love that God asks us to come to Him when we are weary and burdened so that He can give us rest. (Matthew 11:28) No amount of sleep can ever refresh us like the Lord can when we give him our burdens. Isaiah 40 also reminds me that even though I sleep, God doesn't. He never grows weary or tired. No matter how many burdens I lay at His feet, no matter how many requests I make or questions I ask, I can't wear him out. I am so thankful to serve a God who's eyes are always, always watching over me. So tonight, I'm glad I can lay my head on a soft pillow, my burdens at his feet, and wake up to new mercies and a refreshed spirit.

#7 - Sleeping in late and waking up to new mercies!

"Let my soul be at rest again, for the LORD has been good to me."- Psalm 116:7

Comments

Popular Posts