Reason #6

One of the things I love about living in West Texas is that you get sneak peeks of spring during the winter. Today was sunny with a high of 77, perfect! Spring is my favorite season, and if it were up to me spring would be the only season. I love that spring is a sign of new life. Color returns, the weather warms up, the days last longer, and the birds begin to sing. Winter is, by far, my least favorite season so the smallest signs of spring excite me. I'm so thankful for changing seasons, however, I always start to feel sad at the end of September when summer fades because I know spring is far away.

Life comes in seasons, too. Sometimes, we enjoy those seasons. There are seasons filled with new life, new colors, good smells, warm feelings and lots of sunshine. Just like spring, we don't want those seasons to end. Then, we have seasons where there is drought, muted colors, darkness prevails and finding life seems impossible. We can't wait for these seasons to be over.

Like I said earlier, I do appreciate the changing of seasons. I've already expressed my love of spring. After a few weeks of spring, I get excited because summer is coming and during summer daylight lingers until 9:00 and I get to wear a sundress almost everyday. After a stint of incredibly hot days, I look forward to fall so that things will cool down (especially after this last scorching summer). Fall arrives and I look forward to seeing the trees change and to the holidays. After the leaves fall off of the trees, I look forward to winter because that means Christmas is here. Winter finally makes an appearance and I look forward to... well, spring! I have never hoped for winter to stay long because I know that the next season is going to be warmer, prettier and more enjoyable overall.

I realize that I have treated the seasons of my life the same way I've treated the earth's seasons. I pass from season to season looking forward to what the next one will offer me. I anticipate what's to come in the next season and after I've experienced what I expected, I'm ready to move on and experience a new season. Ecclesiastes 3 tells us that, "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven." Just like winter, there are also seasons in my life that I'd like to skip over. Sometimes, I feel like I'm stuck in winter and that spring is never going to make it. Could the days be any longer? Could it be any colder? Could things look more desolate? When I read through the first 8 verses of Ecclesiastes 3, I realize that there are seasons for a reason. We wouldn't recognize or appreciate the "springs" in our lives if we didn't walk through winter first. As mentioned above, the best thing about winter is that spring is sure to follow.

So I'm going to be more diligent during the seasons of my life. Rather than wishing my way into the next season, I'm going to grow and change with the seasons. I'm going  to be thankful for the promises of spring as I walk through my winter, but I don't want to miss out on the important lessons that winter might teach me. When spring does come, I'm going to bask in its beauty and remember how much I longed for the season. Even though I know seasons will come and go, I can rest in knowing that the one who ushers them in and out stays with me through each one, because "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever!" (Hebrews 13:8).

#6 - Because spring is on its way!

And the one sitting on the throne said, "Look, I am making everything new." - Revelation 21:4

Comments

Popular Posts