Reason #592

I hardly slept last night. That bed from the hotel we stayed in ruined me. I was so tired, yet I felt like I was awake the entire night. I flopped around, had really bizarre dreams, and when we got up this morning, we decided it was time to do something about our bed. I knew my sleep deficit had been growing over the past few months, I just didn't realize it until I got to have 3 nights of uninterrupted sleep this weekend.

Mattresses are expensive! We looked up a few mattresses online and realized that it was going to cost us a good chunk of change to get one similar to the miracle mattress at the hotel. I suggested that we switch mattresses between our bed and the guest bed to see if that made a difference. If not, at least maybe it would tide us over until we could had some extra cash to buy a new one. After dinner, Aaron began the process of moving the mattresses between bedrooms. Our guest bedroom has my old furniture, which consists of a platform bed. That is the one piece of furniture Scout can actually jump on and does so without hesitation. Anytime I try to make the bed or straighten the sheets, she automatically jumps us there as to make sure I remember she can. Of course, this was our bed for a while and so I think she's still attached to it. Anyway, Aaron and I were trying to angle the mattress just right to drop it down on the bed. Because it's a platform bed, it doesn't have box springs, rather it has wooden slats. Without noticing or thinking, Scout jumped right up on the bed only to find herself floundering around on the wooden slats. She couldn't get her footing or figure out what was going on. I watched her struggle for a second, as I was shocked that she jumped up there. Her tiny little legs stuck down between the slats and she finally gave up. I quickly reached down to get her, hugged her for a few seconds, and made sure she didn't hurt herself. Just seeing her struggle in confusion for 10 seconds hurt my heart, and I wished she hadn't of jumped up there. But she was okay, just a little shaken, and I was just thankful I was there to help her out of that bind.

Maybe you've been like Scout before. You were just doing what you thought you were supposed to do, what you always did, and something changed. You walked right into the middle of a surprise and were totally caught off guard. Maybe it was bad timing, maybe you just didn't get the memo, or maybe you weren't paying attention, but either way you weren't expecting what you got. And so you, too, began floundering around. You couldn't find your footing and as your heart sped up you wondered how in the world you were ever going to get out of there. You were anticipating a soft landing, not a shock to your entire system. Nothing is more terrifying than realizing you're caught in a situation that is out of your control. That no matter how much you struggle and try to get back to where you were, you can't. You are completely helpless and just hoping that someone will walk by soon and throw you a rope.

There isn't a situation in which I wouldn't help Scout out. There's no threat I wouldn't be willing to take on to keep Scout safe. Heck, I'd do my best to try and fight off a bear if it came after her. And while that seems extreme, and thankfully highly unlikely to happen, I'd rather take a few scratches and bite marks than let her. After all, I'm like 25 times her size so I could endure a bit more that she could. If anything, at least I could punch it in the nose like the survival guides say... or is that for fending off sharks? Well anyway, the thought of her being hurt and stuck in a helpless situation breaks my heart. And so you bet I'm going to help her out ASAP. I'm not going to stand by and watch her endure a situation that could bring harm to her. If I can take it on, I most definitely will and I think she knows she can trust me to help her out by now.

Why is it that we go through life and we think God can't or won't help us? Where in the bible does it say that God would rather watch us flounder around in confusion, fear, and pain that come to our aid? After all, is there anything too big for God to defeat? Is any situation too scary for Him to step in and rescue us from? I mean think about it. God created every thing, even the things that may be scary to us, and so obviously if He created it, He knows how to handle it. It may not be lions or tigers or bears (oh my) that shake us to the core, but there's no situation that we face that God has not handled before. There's nothing He hasn't seen and already taken care of. And I know full well that God will step in to rescue His children from harm's way every time. The key, however, is that as His child you have to let Him. Don't fight Him. Realize He is there to help you, to pull you out of whatever mess you're trapped in. He came to save you, not hurt you, ignore you, leave you, or laugh at you. So hopefully, by now, after all He has done for us, we can trust Him to help us out. After all, the Lord is our helper, all we have to do is ask for it and let Him be who He says He is.

#592 - Because there is no circumstance He will not take on to help His children.

"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!" - Psalm 46:1-3

Comments

Popular Posts